Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2000, 11:04 AM
alesia6

Default Flight Deviation

Paul and Company,
if you don't know the answers maybe you know who will.

Any insight on these questions would really help

Do I call you when flights become available?

When can I expect to be assigned flights? I want to get on this as soon as flights become avail.

Will I be given more than one option of flights if I don't deviate?

Will I be given more than one option if I do deviate, or do I get to pick my flights, I know there is a nonstop north west offered daily to Vancouver I want to be on this flight. Should I just request NW flights now? Should I see what the cruise line offers before I deviate?

You did note on my reservation that we want to deviate?

Will deviating usually cost more than the deviation fee?

Any other info on deviation will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2000, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default RE: Flight Deviation

Alesia,

When using cruise line air I think requesting deviation is the way to go. There is a fee (normally $35-50), but u can pick your flights and times. I've only had to pay extra on one flight, and that was only $15 more.
U have the request the deviation early from your TA. They put in the request through the cruise line. Once the cruise line arranges the deviation u requested, u decide at that point if u want to proceed with it.
So, for example, if the flights u requested were to have additional cost higher than u're comfortable with, u can refuse, and even request a different flight deviation.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.comalesia6 wrote:
>
> Paul and Company,
> if you don't know the answers maybe you know who will.
>
> Any insight on these questions would really help
>
> Do I call you when flights become available?
>
> When can I expect to be assigned flights? I want to get on
> this as soon as flights become avail.
>
> Will I be given more than one option of flights if I don't
> deviate?
>
> Will I be given more than one option if I do deviate, or do I
> get to pick my flights, I know there is a nonstop north west
> offered daily to Vancouver I want to be on this flight. Should
> I just request NW flights now? Should I see what the cruise
> line offers before I deviate?
>
> You did note on my reservation that we want to deviate?
>
> Will deviating usually cost more than the deviation fee?
>
> Any other info on deviation will be appreciated.
Old August 23rd, 2000, 07:02 PM
Tim Rubacky

Alesia,

If you dont choose a deviation, the cruise line will assign you an air schedule anywhere from 60-21 days prior to departure. You ultimately place yourself at the mecy of the airlines (not a good thing) as the airlines dictate to the cruise lines which flights and routings they can utilize. In many cases, they are inconvenient routings and times.

I've seen passengers flying from NYC to Atlanta, to LA and then on to Vancouver.

I'd choose the air deviation which allows you to select the flights you want. In most instances, you advise the cruise line of the flight schedule you prefer. They will attempt to confirm it and if they do, they will asses a $35-75 per person fee plus any additional cost associated with the airfare.

If their is a dramatic price difference, many air-sea departments will suggest or present alternate flights that are close to what you requested.

If you choose toa ccept the schedule, you simply pay the fee plus any additional costs or you may choose to decline it.

Me, I'd go with the air devation. On my last cruise from Florida, we requested the flights we wanted and got them. Non stops from Newark to Miami and back. Others were not so lucky. A woman down the hall had to fly from Newark to Cleveland and then on to Miami. She didnt arrive at the ship until after 3 pm and had left her house before 5 am.

Tim Rubacky
Consumer Affairs Editor
Old August 30th, 2000, 12:23 AM
Carole Dunham

Ugh, Tim. What a nightmare for that poor woman. I had a slightly different experience with air deviation, although I will always use it. My friend didn't want to overnight in England the night before our Scandanavia/Baltic cruise so we were going to fly over, transfer to Dover and sail. We chose British Air. We were onboard waiting to go. We sat and sat, then they turned off the a/c (In July in Miami). They served what would have been our breakfast juice, thirstily sluped up by all of us who were wishing we had a 24 ounce water chaser. Then they told us the flight was cancelled for that night. Since we had booked the air, deviation and all, the cruiseline re-routed to amsterdam on Martinaire the next day. Flawless flight, they refunded our lost day and just forgot to pick us up in Amsterdam. No problem, just grabbed a taxi (driver spoke fluent English) and went to the ship. Ah adventure.

Carole/cruzdiva
Old September 3rd, 2000, 01:05 PM
Dawn Stefano

Bottom line ... the $35-50 you pay for an air deviation buys you choice. If you go with the cruise lines routing, which is dictated by the airlines, you have no choice and no one will run the routing by you in advance to get your thumbs up. In addition, you may not even find out your final routing until 2 weeks before the cruise.

The deviation fee is worth every penny!