Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2000, 01:59 AM
Carole Dunham

Default Queen Mary

This isn't for advice. I really didn't know where to post it. I've been on a business trip in Long Beach, CA. Of course, a ship nut like me is going to stay on the Queen Mary. My impressions: The remaining public rooms and the new restaurants and shopping arcade are absolutely gorgeous, still very art deco with wonderful art deco chrome stair railings, beautiful art deco wood paneling and fabulous lighting fixtures. I wish I could say the same for the rooms. They have upgraded many rooms but there are thngs they won't be able to fix. The soundproffing is non existent. There is only one electrical fixture in each room plus two in the bathroom. I had to charge my rocketbook in the bedroom and had to put it on top of the television since there was no place else I could charge it. It was knocked on the floor (not by me) and broken. The room was large for a ship's cabin but dingy. The worst part of the room was the bathroom. A fiberglass shower. The plumbing fixtures on the sink on crooked and the fixtures in the shower falling apart. The wood paneling in the hallways is gouged and scraped. Clearly they either can't find or can't afford to have it fixed. Very sad. Next tie I go to Long Beach I will stay at the Hyatt and go visit the Queen Mary. I only got a chance to visit one of the three museums on board. It was excellent, recreations of rooms as they were when the ship was new. Most interesting? The hospital and the gym, very primitive.

Carole/cruzdiva
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2000, 11:19 PM
Admiral

Default RE: Queen Mary

Carol....Thanks so much for your posting. It gives folks the chance to make an educated decision based on the good/bad input you gave. I knew it was stunning, but hadn't heard about the rooms!
Old August 31st, 2000, 01:54 AM
Carole Dunham

Default RE: Queen Mary

I didn't have time to check out the upgraded rooms. Our conference rate was $129 and the rate for the upgraded cabin (yes they use all nautical terms on the old lady) is $165. Service was good, very friendly and efficient and the food was ok in the casual restaurant and wonderful in the two high end restaurants.

Carole