Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2000, 10:43 AM
Yeoman

Default Fly or drive

Which is the most practical (cheaper) (less hassle), drive six hours to Miami and take a week long cruise that stops in San Juan and St Thomas with a couple days at sea, or fly from home airport to San Juan and take a three night cruise that stops at St Thomas, among others?

Is it OK to trust the airline/cruiseline to get my luggage from check in to cabin or should I keep my hands on it?
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2000, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: Fly or drive

Hi Don,
Seems like a long flight to San Juan for just 3 days. I personally wouldn't do anything less than 7 when spending that extra for the airfare. Actually the one from Florida sounds like the best bet to me :-)

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 1st, 2000, 01:01 AM
Carole Dunham

I'd drive to Miami and take the 7 day cruise. 3 days just isn't enough. You will be able to keep your hands on your luggage until you check it in at the pier.

Carole
Old September 1st, 2000, 03:47 AM
Admiral

Personally, I'd take the six hour drive -- a one-week cruise is worth it. And I suggest that, if possible, you plan a night's hotel stay in the port of embarkation. That way,you'll board refreshed and very relaxed.

I've never had a problem with luggage and normally it's the airline that looses it. You arrive at the pier, check your bags and you'll see them next in your stateroom.
Take aboard a small carry-on bag for toiiletries, or change of clothes. It takes hours for your suitcase to finally arrive in your cabin.

And, a three day cruise is just too short!

Anne
Old September 1st, 2000, 10:42 AM
Yeoman

Thanks to all that responded.

Turns out a week long trip out of Miami is cheaper than flying to Puerto Rico and taking a three or four day cruise. However...The cruise from Miami is on a 3000+ cattle boat. I've lived in the Caribbean and experienced St Thomas when 3000+ lost souls have been dumped in the middle of town.

Was considering Royal Caribbean, I have their brochure. If you know of a cruise leaving from Florida that calls on San Juan and St Thomas but doesn't last a lifetime, please let me know.
Old September 1st, 2000, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Don,
You might want to check out RCCL's new ship Explorer, leaves from Miami and visits St. Thomas, San Juan, and Nassau, with a few sea days. How does that sound? We're actually booked for next April, can't wait.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 1st, 2000, 02:49 PM
Yeoman

Believe that is the 3000+ boat that I'm trying to avoid. We may just fly to San Juan and go from there.

When I was stationed there, you could sign on for about $200 if you would teach a craft, sport or manage a bridge group. Had to devote two hours each afternoon. If no one showed up in port, you were free to go. Never got to take advantage but knew several that did.
Old September 2nd, 2000, 10:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Celebrity Century, Mercury or Millennium

Holland America Westerdam

There are number of ships to choose from... please just go here to see itineraries:
<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/shiptour/destinations/caribbean.cfm>
Old September 3rd, 2000, 12:22 PM
Dawn Stefano

The Miami option will be cheaper, but the San Juan option will offer you more variety as far as ports are concerned. Why not take a 7-day cruise from San Juan?

As far as hassle, a 6-hour drive on I-95 or I-75 in Florida can be just as miserable as a flight to San Juan, particularly if you are doing the drive during a holiday period or even during a fall weekend when Florida State is playing Florida!

My policy is to never trust the airlines to get my luggage where it's going, so I carry at least one change of clothes and a swim suit in my carry-on bag along with all my important documents, prescriptions, etc.

I've never had a problem with any cruise line losing my luggage.