CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   First timers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/239205-first-timers.html)

Isabelle V September 6th, 2000 10:25 AM

First timers

My husband and I are planning to go on our first cruise. We would like to go to the Caribbean and were told that Celebrity is the way to go. Can anyone reccomend them for a first time cruise experience or should we look elswhere?

Donna September 6th, 2000 10:45 AM

RE: First timers

Hi Isabelle,
Celebrity would be just fine for any time, although I still haven't tried them out, but hear nothing but good things about the line. Any idea where in the Caribbean you'd like to cruise? Western is a little more for the water sports, less good shopping. I personally love the Southern, plenty of different islands, good shopping and beautiful islands. Its really a matter of choice as to what you and your husband like to do.

Once you narrow your search down, you may want to use the bargain finder here to get specific prices for a ship, time, etc that you want to do. This is a great tool and many have found exactly what they are looking for when finally deciding on a cruise. Good luck and I'm sure you will love cruising. Let me know what ship and line you finally decide?

<http://www.cruisemates.com/findcruise/index.cfm>

Donnassei/Sealover

Diane September 6th, 2000 11:45 AM

Celebrity is the best way to start cruising. You will experience everything first class from them. I have sailed with them aboout 6 times. Try others, but come right back to them. Diane

Carole Dunham September 6th, 2000 02:30 PM

Celebrity is a great line with beautiful ships and I think you would be very pleased with them. Another line that gives an excellent cruise product is Princess. Both lines have similar itineraries except Princess has greater diversity in the southern Caribbean. Whatever you choose, have a wonderful cruise and welcome to the world of cruise addicts as all of us are.

Carole

hdawson September 6th, 2000 06:58 PM

Also it kind of depends on your likes and dislikes. If you are a late nite party animal, you might want to consider Carnival. If the Vegas neon glitz isn't for you, then Royal Caribbean has some beautiful ships. If you prefer a very sedate environment, maybe Holland America. Hope we have helped with your delimma.
Start with a supply of cruiseline catalogues from a local travel agent but when you are ready to shop, don't forget the web for price comparrisons. Also most of the lines have websites too.

Tim Rubacky September 6th, 2000 09:41 PM

Depending on what your priorities are for your cruise, you may wish to consider any of the majors: Carnival, Celebrity, HAL, NCL, Royal Caribbean or Princess. All provide a high caliber cruise experience and fit a variety of lifestyles and tatses.

Carnival is a little more high enerygy and "flash", akin to Las Vegas gone to sea; but in a good way. Flashy but not ticky tacky.

Celebrity is a little more refined and has somewhat of a european ambiance and service is a little more formal. Celebrity is best known for their cuisine which is overseen by famed chef Michel Roux.

Holland America is a little more staid and traditional with a quiet on board ambiance.

NCL is very comtemprary with a heavy emphasis on sports, activities and an a causal, laid back, resort style atmosphere.

Princess is IMO, the most well rounded with excellent food, entertainment and service. They just seem to get everything right. And they have some of the most beautiful ships to boot.

Royal Caribbean's ships look like and have the ambiance of a big, bright, sea going Hyatt. Lots of brass and glass. RCI's strongest points are their well designed ships and entertainment. Their food, IMO< could stand improvement as I find it quite bland.

Hope this helps!

Tim Rubacky
Consumer Affairs Editor

Dawn Stefano September 6th, 2000 11:33 PM

All of this advice is great, and Tim's response is right on target. You are likely to have a quality experience on any of these lines, but your own personal preferences will dictate where you'd feel the most comfortable. The ambience, your fellow cruisemates, your dining options, etc., really affect the experience.

Using Tim's overview, see which lines sound appealing to you and do a little more research. You'd probably be very happy with Celebrity, but you might be happier with someone else.

Let us know what you decide!

Dawn

Isabelle V September 8th, 2000 02:27 PM

Thank you to everyone. Merci
I will definately let you know which line we decide.