Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2000, 07:42 PM
Martha Crane

Default On Board Tours

Does any one know of a Cruise Line that offers engine room tours? My husband & I want to take a Panamanian Cruise in November of 2001 on a mid size or smaller ship and would appreciate any advise we can get.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2000, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: On Board Tours

Hi Martha,
I've heard they are leary to give those tours, but you may want to check with someone after you board the ship, you never know, I've also heard of a few people who have seen these rooms. On our last Princess cruise we were able to have a tour of the bridge, which was really interesting, glad I caught that. I know you can also get tours of the kitchens, but not sure how the husband would like that :-)
You never know, if you talk to the right officer at the right time, you may be able to get that tour, good luck.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 10th, 2000, 11:08 PM
cheri

I hope they have a tour of the kitchen on the Millennium. My husband and I would both love to see that. I can't imagine how huge it must be to fix all that food for so many people. How do you arrange a tour when you get on board?
Old September 10th, 2000, 11:49 PM
Robocop

Tours of the ships Galley and Bridge are almost always offered but they do have limits on capacity so I suggest that you keep checking your daily 'newspaper' for when these activities take place. You can also ask your waiter or head-waiter as they always seem proud of showing off thier "home". As for the tours of the engine room, I don't know of any ship that offers them for a group unless it is in basically what is known as the "control room" which shows not much more than some dials and computers. You MAY be able to sweet-talk an Engineering Officer into showing you around on a private tour but you really need to speak to hi and pretty well hit it off and have a real interest and not just curiosity. Most likely has to do with insurance and SOP for the cruise line.
Jim
Old September 11th, 2000, 08:41 AM
hdawson

Cheri, you might be surprised at the size of the galleys on cruise ships. Much smaller than I expected. Just extremely well organized.
Old September 11th, 2000, 11:10 AM
Yeoman

I have sold the oil & fuel filters used on most of the Princess Ships in last 4 years. Not sure if the new Dawn has them as they were usually shipped to the boat builder or engine manufacturer. (Wartsilla or ??) And...since I WAS responsibole for saving several curises because "someone" forgot to order replacement cartridges and I expedited the crap out of production to ship quick, I just figure they OWE me (giggle) big time. Oh well...one can wish. I have seen the engine room in an old freighter. It is an awsome site because then you begin to understand the trmendous power that propels the ship and how just one bad or over used filter can cost the cruise line big time.Martha Crane wrote:
>
> Does any one know of a Cruise Line that offers engine room
> tours? My husband & I want to take a Panamanian Cruise in
> November of 2001 on a mid size or smaller ship and would
> appreciate any advise we can get.
> Thanks.
Old September 12th, 2000, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I hav seen the engine room on the Norway and on the Dawn Princess. There is a big difference! The newer ships all use electric powered engines, the fuel (usually a crude, thick diesel) is actually used to drive the power generators that run all the electricity onboard, including the "engines," or more correctly -- the "motors."

What you see on the Norway is a big, hot room with grease everywhere. There are huge engines turning the main screws and the dank, hot atmosphere of steam and loud noises.

The new ships are entirely different - they are antiseptically clean because it is an electric engine. There is no grease, but they are hot an noisy. You can see the long propellor shaft, also known as the screw, turning at a very high rate. It is a long polished metal shaft about 1 foot thick.

The room is painted a solid white, you enter by a very steep stairway and there are catwalks between the engines. You must wear a headset to keep out the noise.

Ships do not offer engine tours - ours was a rare opportunity for a press group on a brand new ship. (The Norway I saw because I was a crew-member). But if you want to see an engine online you can probably see a picture at the websites for one of the ship builders.