Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2000, 10:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Birth Certificates! Please Help

My husband and I are going on the Century to the Western Caribbean 9/30/00. We both have passports. My friend who is going with us has an original birth certificate with no raised seal? Is this good enough? I was under the impression that you needed a raised seal. Does he even have enough time to get a passport?He lives in Orlando, Florida, but I believe he was born in Rhode Island. Your prompt respones would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Carole =^..^=
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2000, 11:25 PM
hdawson

Default RE: Birth Certificates! Please Help

Carole, you hope you get to the western. Good luck. Thinking of you.
Old September 13th, 2000, 10:22 AM
First Mate

<< My friend who is going with us has an original birth certificate with no raised seal? Is this good enough? >>

Carole,
Some states birth certificates do not have the raised seal. If indeed it is the original, it will be just fine.
Have a great time!
Susan
Old September 13th, 2000, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Carol,
My husband had to get birth cirtificates a while back and even though they are origional, they too don't have a raised seal, so as long at its an origional, they should accept it. Be sure that your friend also has a picture drivers license too.
I always tell friends that a passport is so much better and easier, so you may want to suggest to your friend if she/he plans on traveling in the future to go and get one, will save this kind of hassle. Hope you all have a wonderful trip!

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 13th, 2000, 04:35 PM
Robocop

Hi Carole. Your friend should have no problem and I really doubt that it will even raise an eyebrow. On our last cruise on the Norway my wife and I even forgot to bring our Birth Certificates with us and all that was asked of us is to sign a paper stating we were US citizens before we go onboard. I really wouldn;t worry but knowing that your friend WILL become addicted to cruising, I highly suggest that he/she obtain a passport. <G>
Jim
Old September 17th, 2000, 11:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

The birth certificate I had at home was an uncertified copy of the original and I ran into problems with jobs and the like because of it. With only a week to go before a trip to Mexico 4 years ago I called North Dakota and had them Fed Ex me certified copies. It cost me a few dollars to have them expedite the process and then the Fed Ex charge. I know I felt a lot better having it, though. Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

Laura
Old September 26th, 2000, 08:35 PM
Passenger

Carole,

I didn't have the original of my husband's birth certificate when we were taking our first cruise. My T/A advised me that all we needed to do was to contact the town/city hall where my husband's birth records would be and get a wallet sized copy of it which would come with the raised seal. I mailed the $5.00 fee (no doubt this varies) and received the copy shortly thereafter. If you need to do the FedX thing then I would suggest it. Call ahead to the Town Hall so you can get necessary details and arrange payment. They will also be prepared to fill your request immediately. I now carry wallet-sized copies for myself and my daughter as well. Good luck and happy cruising.

Maureen