CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Transfer from Hotel to Ship (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/239267-transfer-hotel-ship.html)

jeff October 12th, 2000 04:20 PM

Transfer from Hotel to Ship

Hi,
I'm looking for ways to reduce costs on my planned Med. cruise in July. I'm thinking about planning my own flight and hotel stay. How important is the "Cruise Transfer to the Ship"?
Costs I'm facing: If we do a pre-cruise package, I'm looking at a $50 pp Flight change fee, and $259 pp for the hotel and transfer.
I think I can get the same hotel for about $125 per night, and save about $100pp on the flights.
Am I setting myself up for failure by getting to the ship on my own? I know a train runs from Rome to Civatavecchia (port city).
Is it wise for my wife and I to have 2 large bags of luggage on the train and to check in @ the pier? Please help.

Donna October 12th, 2000 05:07 PM

RE: Transfer from Hotel to Ship

Hi Jeff,
Not really sure how far you will be traveling from the hotel to the pier. You may want to check with your travel agent and see if you can just get the transfers and how much they are. It may not even work depending on what hotel you are staying at, but its worth checking into. I don't know about that train ride???
Good luck and it sure does sound like quite a savings, but you want to make sure you make it to the pier on time, etc.

Donnassei/Sealover

jeff October 12th, 2000 05:12 PM

thanks Donna. How much of an advantage is it to buy the "Cruise Transfer" from airport or hotel to the ship?

Donna October 12th, 2000 05:18 PM

Hi Jeff,
Not sure if its exactly an atvantage, but at least you wouldn't be traveling with all your luggage on trains. Sounds like a cab is going to be too expensive, still don't know what kind of distance we're talking about here. In some cases taking a cab is actually cheaper, but the transfers is something to at least check into.

Donnassei/Sealover

jeff October 13th, 2000 10:51 AM

From Rome to Civitavecchia is about a 1 hr. train ride. The key question is:
What is the benefit of purchasing the Cruise Transfer Service versus going through the check in process at the pier? Is it worth it? Can 2 adults in their early thirties with average intelligence manage getting on the ship without buying the Cruise Transfer Service? What is the process of getting on the ship?
(Can you tell this is my first cruise?)
- jeffJeff wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I'm looking for ways to reduce costs on my planned Med. cruise
> in July. I'm thinking about planning my own flight and hotel
> stay. How important is the "Cruise Transfer to the Ship"?
> Costs I'm facing: If we do a pre-cruise package, I'm looking at
> a $50 pp Flight change fee, and $259 pp for the hotel and
> transfer.
> I think I can get the same hotel for about $125 per night, and
> save about $100pp on the flights.
> Am I setting myself up for failure by getting to the ship on my
> own? I know a train runs from Rome to Civatavecchia (port city).
> Is it wise for my wife and I to have 2 large bags of luggage on
> the train and to check in @ the pier? Please help.

Donna October 13th, 2000 07:29 PM

Hi Jeff,
I'm sure you could manage it, but its again the only problem of lugging all the luggage to the train, then cab to pier. If you don't mind doing that and the savings is there, then by all means do it. The only other problem is you better know exactly where you are going and the right train. Enjoy, sounds like quite an adventure, have fun.

Donnassei/Sealover

Anne Campbell October 18th, 2000 08:57 PM

Ask your travel agent to pull up information about a company called Travel Bound.
They offer reduced rates and transfers of all storts for individuals traveling, including sightseeing. You can pick hotel in good locations ranging from budget to deluxe, all with breakfast.

I've also had great luck setting up my own Europe ground transportation on the internet, including cars with/drivers.