Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2000, 04:42 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark
Default cruise rates

One thing that I can't understand is why travel agents don't quote the entire price including all port and taxes when you ask for a cruise quote? Why do they make it look cheaper like $269pp for 3 day Bahamas then add another $125 for port and taxes. Wouldn't it just be easier to give the whole price up front instead of making everyone go through this? Some travel agents might think this makes them look like they have great prices. I for one think it makes them look like they are trying to rip you off after adding everything to the end of it. Some of the port and taxes can really add up to almost the same price as the cruise(on 3 & 4 day cruise specials)
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2000, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: cruise rates

Hi Mark,
I agree with you! I always ask then to just give me the whole price. It would also make it a lot easier to compare with others if all the prices included everything.
Hope they make an industry standard and just add everything together. I know they just want to price to look lower than it actually is. Hope to see this change in the future.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old October 18th, 2000, 04:33 PM
Carole Dunham

I agree. I look at a cruise fare and thinkgee, this is very reasonable. By the time I'm finished adding port taxes, air, transfers and insurance the price has usually doubled.

Carole
Old October 20th, 2000, 09:11 AM
hdawson

I find that almost all cruiselines and travel agents are now quoting cruise only prices which include port charges. Am I missing something. Of course there is always a few that don't but find that the exception these days. Of course trip insurance, which I really believe in, is an option and is best done through a third party insurance company.
Old October 20th, 2000, 01:38 PM
Dawn Stefano

A few years back there was a big push in Florida (and I thought nationwide) to get cruiselines to include port fees and taxes in their advertised price. When I lived in Orlando the lines and the local agencies were doing this in their print ads. Wonder what happened? Now its rare to see these fees included in the advertised price. However, they're always listed at the bottom of the ad in 2-pt type!

In my experience, agents have always verbally quoted the cruise price and the fees separately, then provided a grand total per person.

I, too, would much rather they just quote and advertise a bottom line total.
Old October 20th, 2000, 03:22 PM
Admiral

There was a Civil Class action law suit filled against cruise lines for not divulging the port charges, taxes and fees. Celebrity & RCCL settled with all past passengers who sailed during that particualr period of time by issuing savings certificates to be used on future cruises. Since then, I understand that the cruise price, port charges, taxes & fees, plus airfare if required are to be quoted separately. This may have been enacted into law. (TA's would know.) I have had experience where I was qoted the same cruise rates for the same category, but with different Port Charges & fees. Makes one wonder who is getting what.
Always make sure you are comparing the same thing.
Old October 22nd, 2000, 10:48 AM
RoboCop

Some states are requiring full disclosure now when quoting prices and MUST include the port and government fees. The State of Florida enacted this law last year and personally I like it very much. I have a strong feelings about certain things that people do and this is one that really gets to me. I personally will not book with an agency that does not include the port and taxes right in their quote instead of separately and have told them so. It doesn't mean that I think an agency that doesn't isn't honest or reputable, it is just a quirk of mine and I have told these agencies my 'personal' policy.
Jim