Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2000, 05:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Accessible rooms

My in-laws are celebrating their 50th in February. We are thinking of organizing a 4 day cruise for the family to share in their celebration but my mother in law has MS and is in a wheelchair. Are there cabins which are fully accessible and fitted for handicapped travellers (with bars in toilets, showers, etc). Would her electric wheelchair fit through the cabin door? Know of any ships which are better for these special travellers?
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2000, 05:41 PM
Carole Dunham

Default RE: Accessible rooms

4 day cruises are operated on older ships, which don't always have totally wheelchair accessible cabins. I would have your travel agent check this very carefully for you. On a last minute booking, my grandson and I were in a wheelchair accessible cabin and it was perfect. Big,k huge bathroom, located on a large corridor with other wheelchair accessible cabins, fold down seat in the shower and a brace by the toilet, mirrors that could be lowered, clothes racks in the closets that could be lowered, really amazing to someone who isn't familiar with that type of cabin. If your family could stretch out your cruise to 7 days (4 days plus the weekends you know), you could sail on a new ship and know that there would be no problems at all with wheelchairs.

Carole
Old October 23rd, 2000, 11:00 PM
Admiral

Yes...ships routinely add accessible cabins for passengers with wheelchairs.
Good ships sailing on four-day itineraries include several in the fleets of Carnival, Disney and Royal Caribbean. See the "Ship Itineraries" area to pick out those that interest you most, then check with a travel agent about cabins. Carnival's cabins are much larger, so this may be your best bet.
Old November 1st, 2000, 12:11 AM
Admiral

Yes, you'll find wheelchair accessible cabins on nearly all ships today, and ships have ramps into public areas. I suggest you try a four-day Carnival cruise. Your travel agent can easily set this up. Or, see the agents in CruiseMates classified area if you need one.