Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 22nd, 2000, 09:22 PM
Passenger

Default Handicapped access

Can you tell me which ships or cruise lines are better for accommodating a wheelchair passenger ? Never thought I would need this info, and we love to cruise, but now my husband is in and out of a wheelchair, sooo don't want to give up our favorite mode of travel - cruising. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2000, 10:23 PM
TWOFER

Default RE: Handicapped access

Have you read al the posts on this sitee? Look under people/ disabled cruisers. It is a start.
Old November 23rd, 2000, 02:19 PM
RoboCop

The newer and larger ships are often more accomodating for those in wheelchairs due to people and companies being more aware of the Disabled. We do have a section or message board that is designed to help answer questions specifically related to the hanicapped that you may wish to get more information from. Additionally you might be aware that in Miami they provide complimentary parking for the handicapped, just make sure you have you permit in the window and sign the paper.
Jim
Old November 23rd, 2000, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Lynn,
I think most of today's ship have handycapped cabins, they are usually marked in the brochures. Here is a link to our disabled section, hope this will be some help and just keep on cruising:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/disabled/index.cfm>

Donnassei/Sealover
Old November 23rd, 2000, 04:05 PM
Carole Dunham

When I sailed Galaxy (Celebrity) with my grandson we were given a handicap cabin. It was huge, on a corridor containing all the handicap cabins on the ship. The passageway was the widest on the ship so that quite a few wheelchairs could pass at the same time. The features in the cabin were wonderful, closet bars that lowered to wheelchair level, plastic commode supports in the bathroom, no barriers anywhere in or into the cabin. Wheel in showers with retractable seats. Mirrors that could be moved over the sinks, low sinks. It was pretty amazing. My travel agent said the best handicap cabins she has ever seen are on the Grand Princess, but overall access to the main show lounge doesn't get very good reviews on that ship. Whatever line you choose though, you can be assured your husband will be treated very well.

Carole