Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 27th, 2000, 06:23 PM
Kristi

Default New Year's Eve Cruise - Leave 12/30/00

I've read many articles and am not clear on if I purchase alcohol in a port can I drink it on board or does the ship keep it for me until the end of the cruise? I am sailing on Celebrity's Galaxy.

Also, since the cruise I am taking is a New Year's Eve cruise - are the alcoholic drinks free for that night? Also, what sort of festivities might I expect for NYE?

One more thing - I requested the late dinner seating by got the early seating - what are my chances in getting it changed? I had planned on doing some sightseeing in San Juan before boarding the ship but should I board as soon as I get to San Juan in order to request an earlier dinner seating?

Since, this is my first cruise any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2000, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: New Year's Eve Cruise - Leave 12/30/00

Hi Kristi,
Here is a link to the "first cruise" section here at Cruisemates. I'm sure a lot of your questions are in there. How wonderful to cruise over New Years, you'll have a blast!

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/first-time/index.cfm.>

Donnassei
Old December 28th, 2000, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Default RE: New Year's Eve Cruise - Leave 12/30/00

Most cruises ships frown on your bringing your own liquor/wine on board, but it is done respectively all the time! I take it you sail from San Juan. There is a Duty Free store right in the port terminal, so go shopping and bring on your rum, soda, juices, etc in their plastic or paper bags. I have seen people with personal luggage carts bringing their own beverages. As long as you check in on the cruise ship early (noon+), you should have no problem being able to do a walking tour of Old San Juan. Just across the street from the pier on the side street near the bus depot, you can get on the free trolley and get off and on at stops throughout the town. I recommend taking the trolley all the way up to El Morro fort then walking downhill from there if you like. As far as there being free drinks on New Years eve, that will remain to be seen, but I would not count on it. The only time that alcholic drinks are free are the repeaters party, the Captain's Welcome Aboard party, and on Celebrity, the Captain's Club members party, Honeymooners & Anniversary party. If you plan to bring on your own alcholic beverage, don't forget to bring a personal water bottle for poolside refreshments. I fill mine with ice, then pour in a mixed drink to sip and be refreshed while relaxing in the sun. Some lines will allow you to bring your own wine to the table and will charge you a corkage fee and you may wish to show your appreciation to the wine steward in the form of a tip at the end of the cruise. Just ask the wine steward for your table. Also as a first timer, if you receive wine from your TA at your table or you bring wine to your table that has been received in your cabin, it is polite to ask your tablemates if they would like a glass to share. If they decline, at least you have been cordial and there is no need to repeat this gesture unless you feel compelled to do so or someone else has shared with you too. If you buy a bottle of wine at your table, your wine steward can recork it nightly and serve it too you on subsequent evenings. Enjoy yourself. The Galaxy is beautiful.
Bon Voyage