Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2001, 02:54 PM
BIG TUNA

Default Celebrity Mistrust

I know it may be earley, but what can be done if the Infinty (Celebrity) waits until the last minute to cancel cruises until the middle of June. I know that no official word has been put out, but the message boards of full of bad news about the Infinty. Celebrity must by now know whats being said about there new ship. Can they put up with the backlash that a late delay notice will cause? I would like to here from someone on Cruisemates staff on what may happen, other then the usual 50% off on youre next booking.
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Tim Rubacky

Default Re: Celebrity Mistrust

Big Tuna,

I'm convinced that Celebrity does not yet know whether she will be delivered on time as she is currently back in dry dock at the shipyard undergoing hull modifications and having her propulsion system tested.

Her on time delivery will be predicated by the shipyard sucessfully finishing the modifications on time and her propulsion system sucessfully completing rigorous testing and inspection.

I believe that the delivery date is set for February 7th, so we should know in a week or two as she is due to leave the drydock to undergo her last round of sea trials during the last week of January.

Tim Rubacky
Consumer Affairs Editor
Old January 14th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Carole Dunham

I was just told by a cruise agent at Mytravelco that Infinity's maiden voyage will be postponed until March. I'm beginning to think this new system that they're using to eliminate vibration is doomed to be a dismal failure forever.

Carole
Old January 14th, 2001, 06:24 PM
BIG TUNA

Thanks Tim, your right time will tell.
Old January 16th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Passenger

Carole,

The maiden voyage is set for March 3. The original date was Feb. 3. When in March did the mytravelco.com agent say it would sail?

Carole Dunham wrote:
>
> I was just told by a cruise agent at Mytravelco that
> Infinity's maiden voyage will be postponed until March. I'm
> beginning to think this new system that they're using to
> eliminate vibration is doomed to be a dismal failure forever.
>
> Carole
Old January 17th, 2001, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Boy, I'm sure glad I don't work at Celebrity right now I've asked, but haven't had any official yes or no. A cruise line doesn't intentionally string passengers along who are booked. It's a matter of learning as much as possible, projecting what can and cannot be finished in time, when consulting with the ship yard.

If the ship is delayed, passengers will get a full refund and probably a credit towards a future Celebrity cruise. Of course, that never replaces a person's scheduled vacation time, all the problems involved in finding another cruise.

Regarding the delay in Millennium technical problems -- which may affect Infinity as well, since she's a twin -- the problem happenened during Sea Trials. During Sea Trials, the builders, owners and insurers of a ship take the ship "through her paces", so to speak. They test the ship in every way possible -- full spead ahead for eight hours, full speed backwards, circles, etc. The one thing they didn't do with Millennium, however, was test the ship at very slow speeds. Otherwise, Celebrity wouldn't have taken possession of the vessel. Here's where the technical glitch wound up.

It's a good company that's had some tough breaks lately. If there is any delay, you'll find it immediately in CruiseMates' news area on the home page.

Anne Campbell
Editor, CruiseMates
Old January 17th, 2001, 10:18 PM
Big Tuna

Hi Anne, first of all thank you for taking the time to answer a question many of us have. Second thank you for being honest, I think the bottom line will be the finale test over where she's being built. If all goes well things we be great, and if things don't go right thats another story. Thanks again , Big Tuna.