Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2001, 12:46 PM
HannaS77

Default ADA Charges Filed by Civil RightsDivision-Dept. of

The Civil Rights Division of the United States Dept. of Justice has filed two Americans With Disability Act (ADA) against Norwegian Cruise Line. The ine case involves a single bind male who tried to book a cruise on the Norwegian Sea but wa declined since he would have no one to assist him.

The other case involved a married couple, both blind who wanted to take a honeymoon cruise on the Norwegian Wind.After booking the cruise and paying the usual deposit, NCL required they sign what is known as a hold harmless agreement that NCL would not be liable for any injuries sustained aboard the ship. They declined,were not permitted to take that cruise and for some unexplained reason lost the deposit.

Over the years there have been ADA suits in the federal courts where the judges ruled the foreign flagged cruise lines are not subject to ADA. An equal number of cases have been decided that ADA does apply to foreign flagged cruise ships. None of the prior cases have been submitted to the U.S. Supreme Court.. Since the two cases are at the behest of the Dept. of Justice, it might be that they want a case that can be argued all the way to the Supreme Court.
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2001, 04:12 PM
RoboCop

Default Re: ADA Charges Filed by Civil RightsDivision-Dept

Hanna,
I doubt that the Dept of Justice would set this up just to instigate a lawsuit. It is more likely done by some activists that are itching to make waves. As someone who is 'disabled' myself I have nothing but strong feelings about equal rights and opportunity for those you have some disability BUT, there are certain special needs involved when you are at sea and a blind person with nobody there to assist them would be totally lost and a definate danger, not only to themselves, but in an emergency, quite possibly others. I am surprised that NCL actually offered to allow them onboard if they signed a waver. The fact that this couple declined tell me that they don't really want to cruise, but are there for litigation IMHO.
Jim
Old January 22nd, 2001, 12:05 AM
Carole Dunham

It's a really scary thought. Blind people on a ship taking a wrong turn and injuring themselves or worse, falling overboard. For heaven sakes, it's a ridiculous lawsuit. I'm all for the blind sailing but with a sighted companion.

Carole
Old January 23rd, 2001, 11:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

There was a vision-impaired passenger on our Grand Princess cruise who appeared to be travelling alone -- that is, without any obvious human companion -- she had a dog with her. She obviously had not lost all of her vision -- but it was interesting seeing the dog on ship. I wondered if the dog used a "litter box" in the cabin. I understand that on the classic ocean crossings of long ago dogs were welcomed and a pet run of sorts was provided.
Old January 23rd, 2001, 09:01 PM
RoboCop

Guide dogs are allowed onboard ships to the best of my knowledge. I honestly do not know how their 'necessities' at taken care of. The only other ship that I know of that accepts dogs is the QEII and they are confined to the kennel.
Jim