Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2001, 03:08 PM
srm

Default Cozumel--Carv. Victory--ruins or snorkeling?

I am sailing on the Carnival Victory to Cozumel. Should I take the tour of the ruins of the snorkeling? Do I have times for both? SHould I book through the cruise or is their a better/cheaper way?
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2001, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Cozumel--Carv. Victory--ruins or snorkeling?

srm wrote:
>
> I am sailing on the Carnival Victory to Cozumel. Should I
> take the tour of the ruins of the snorkeling? Do I have
> times for both? SHould I book through the cruise or is their
> a better/cheaper way?

Depends on which ruins you're talking about. Ruins on the island of Cozumel itself aren't much. Ruins in Tulum (on the mainland) are more significant, and more to see. There's also a flight tour available to the ruins at Chitza Itza (which are supposed to be amazing, I havent been yet).

If you're going to stay on the island, I'd say rent a jeep and tour the island. It's small, and easy to get around in a short time. U can see the ruins along the way, still have time to snorkel, shop and down a few at Carlos & Charlies<G>

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old February 8th, 2001, 12:37 PM
First Mate

Well now that all depends on your personal interests. And possibly the season you are cruising.

In general if you are a watersports kind of person you may want to skip the ruins tour to Tulum cause you won't have much time for water when you get back to Cozumel from the mainland.

If you do opt for the ruins in Tulum then you definitely should buy the tour package. It's quite a ways from where your ship is going to be docked and you really don't want to risk missing the boat, "literally".

There are some minor ruins to be seen on Cozumel itself and you can get a cab tour or rent a jeep and go see them easily and quickly.

For me the best thing to do in Cozumel is go to Chankanaab park if the weather is good or shop, eat and drink in town if it's not a beach day. It's a very freindly Island and the prices are right.

Have a blast.
Old February 8th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Dawn Stefano

If you have the option of getting off the ship at Playa del Carmen and doing a combination Tulum/Xel-Ha tour, go for it. Xel-Ha is a large natural aquarium that's teeming with marine life, so the snorkelling is easy and enjoyable. The ruins at Tulum are interesting and can be seen in less than 2 hours.

If this is not possible, I'd stick with Cozumel and snorkel at Chankanaab Park.