Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2001, 11:15 PM
rsawick

Default ship excursions vs shore excursions

OK! OK! Let me try to get this right.

I will couch this question in specifics. Suppose I would like to book an excursion to stingray city without using my cruise ship. Easy enough to do, but who insures the excursion. How does one know there will be sufficient life preservers and other safety equipment? And when the excursions boat or van breaks down, how does one get back to the cruise ship which is leaving faster than quicker? For these reasons we have avoided taking any but ship excursions in the past.
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2001, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: ship excursions vs shore excursions

rsawick wrote:
>
> OK! OK! Let me try to get this right.
>
> I will couch this question in specifics. Suppose I would
> like to book an excursion to stingray city without using my
> cruise ship. Easy enough to do, but who insures the
> excursion. How does one know there will be sufficient life
> preservers and other safety equipment? And when the
> excursions boat or van breaks down, how does one get back to
> the cruise ship which is leaving faster than quicker? For
> these reasons we have avoided taking any but ship excursions
> in the past.

Hi Rsawick,
Thats one of the best reasons for taking the ship's excersions, especially when time is an issue and in Grand Cayman you need to allow time to tender as well.

Donnassei
Old February 21st, 2001, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I rarely take ship's excursions. While it's possible for STUFF to happen, it's also possible to get hit by a bus crossing the street to your tour.
Going off on your own, there's no question you need to plan well, and allow lots of time for returning to the ship. But often, you can have more adventure, and spend less money going on your own.

Just remember to have a credit card with you, in case you're flying to catch the ship <G>
Regards,
Kuki
Features Edito
Old February 22nd, 2001, 10:37 PM
gogetter

Hello,

Well have you ever heard the phrase MONEY TALKS ? Well it does very loudly in many of the countries you visit. Especially cash.

Here was myadventure in Ocho Rios....We took a tour to DUnns river falls...they drive you there and take you to the top...well to get down to the beach you walk down many , many steps. My wife and i did not feel like walking up all those steps to catch the bus to go shopping. Lo and behold ..hey theres a catamaran...I stroll over and talk to the captain and ask for a ride back to the ship. he said yes of course because here i am ..an American with CASH wanting something. Well no sooner do we get on the catamaran, he calls everyone back early. We sail out into the ocean for a while ...while drinking the rum punch. At the end he came over and said that will be 50 dollars. I said ok,,,per person right ?..no for you as a couple. Cool no problem man.....
Old February 23rd, 2001, 12:49 PM
Ted

I am sorry, but I think you are being a bit "over cautious". The excursions can be had for about 1/2 of what the ship may charge. They are all government controlled & they DO depend on the tourist for their livlihood! They do not want to mess up their "goldmine." They are all very responsible (Jamaica excepted), reliable, & always on time. We have been on over 10 cruises in the Caribbean & have NEVER had one iota of a hint of a problem. Go & enjoy - & RELAX!!!