Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2001, 08:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default First off the ship

A two-part question: Norwegian lists a 7am return to port time on the itinerary for an upcoming cruise out of Miami in April. The fine print indicates a 2 hour lag before debarkation. My experience on Carnival lines (2 cruises) has been that the ships have reached port before sun-up, and debarkation starts before scheduled time. Do you know if this is generally true on the shorter 4 day cruises? (particularly on Norwegian out of Miami, returning from Nassau)

I ask because I got a great deal on airfare and purchased a nonrefundable ticket. My flight home is out of Ft. Lauderdale and leaves at 9:14am. I'm trying to figure out what my odds of making the flight are, as the airport is 20-40 minutes from the Miami Port. Norwegian phone reps tell me the pursers will do all they can to hasten debarkation in such situations, but I'm wondering if anyone whose experienced this hurry-up-to-to-make-the-flight debarkation on Norwegian can advise me or share their experience. Thanks.

P.S We have some altrnative ideas for vacationing, which is why we purchased these great deal flights, but the cruise is first choice!
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2001, 09:27 PM
Robocop

Default Re: First off the ship

Laurie,
Your chances of making this flight are slim to none, and slim isn't here anymore. Im all probability you will not even be able to get off the ship until at least 9;30am at the earliest with between 10 and 11am being more likely. If flying out when returning home I will never recommend a flight before 1PM and even then if you can go for a late flight and just enjoy the day in Miami.
Jim
Old March 4th, 2001, 11:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

On occassion, I've had to be amongst the first off the ship. In some cases I've been off by 7:45. Most often it seems first off is around 8:30, and that's without any delays in debarkation.
U might be able to make the airport for a 9:14 flight. Getting there in time to check in luggage and get to the gate, may be much tougher.
If you've bought the seats already, then you're obviously willing to take the chance. Just be mentally prepared to sit around waiting to get out standby later. If you make the flight u'll be delighted.
Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old March 5th, 2001, 11:29 PM
Carole Dunham

The one big problem with this is Non US citizens traveling. They must clear customs on the ship. Sometimes all they want to do is sleep and until they are all cleared, the US citizens go no where. Take an afternoon flight or with your savings, spend the night in Miami, enjoy south Beach and go home on the early flight the next day.

Carole
Old March 6th, 2001, 11:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the advice. Taking a later flight is not a problem for us in terms of time. Because of the type of ticket we purchased (e-ticket thru Priceline), I worry about the airline just saying "Tough luck!" if we are late.
My husband assures me that won't happen. (He uses priceline often, and has been in similar situations.) Still, I've been unable to get a clear policy statement from the airlines' websight or reservations dept. and I don't want to spend my cruise worrying.