Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2001, 07:52 AM
btmi2

Default Shore Execursions/ Book on Ship or on our own?

Hi,

We are doing a Western Caribbean Cruise on Carnival Triumph in November this year, and wondering if it is better to book on the ship or wait and do these on our own? We have a 14 yr old who wants to scuba and from what I'm told by Carnival they do not offer a beginners scuba class. Any input on excursions in the Western or about this ship is greatly appreciated. This is our first cruise on Carnival. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Shore Execursions/ Book on Ship or on our own?

Hi Btmi2,
You can book the excersions either way, make sure you get to Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman, bet your teen will get a kick out of that. You can book through Carnival or once on the pier. Just make sure you allow enough time, you have to tender in Grand Cayman and that can take some time. If you book that through the ship you will get off in time for the tour, people with excersion tickets get off first, depending on what time the tour starts. BTW, we were in Grand Cayman for a few days a couple years ago and went out to Sting Ray City with a bunch of divers, it was really neat. We just snorkeled up above them, but got some great shots of the divers/sting rays, well worth doing. Enjoy the cruise.

Donnassei
Old March 30th, 2001, 09:27 AM
btmi2

Thanks Donna! All info is appreciated any other adivse...send it my way!
Old March 30th, 2001, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Btmi2,
Here is a fairly recent members review of Triumph that you may find interesting, enjoy:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/shiptour/memreviews/mr_carnival/triumph9.html>

Donnassei
Old March 30th, 2001, 04:32 PM
RoboCop

Actually Carnival does offer an introduction to SCUBA excursion for those that do not have a PADA certification. What this is, is a one tank dive in water no deeper than 25' after a short course in basic SCUBA safety and you are accompanied by a certified instructor. The cost is somewhere around $65. Check out the excursions information as soon as you board.
Jim
Old March 30th, 2001, 05:23 PM
btmi2

THanks Jim....you made a teen very happy!
Old April 17th, 2001, 06:14 PM
Admiral

I suggest you wait -- aside from watersports, you don't really need to buy any tours in the Caribbean.

For Scuba, I recommend that you visit the web sites of islands you'll be visiting.
They will list local scuba operators and you can probably book them by e-mail.
In CruiseMates, go to the "Links" area (home page) and you'll find all the tourist offices listed here for the Caribbean.

Anne Campbell
Editor, CruiseMates
Old May 8th, 2001, 06:34 PM
First Mate

Regarless of the destination or cruise line I would always recommend booking through the ship as you are guaranteed the excursion will meet your expectations and that the operator can meet the cruise lines standards and insurance coverage. Plus you know the ship won't leave without you!