My husband and I are going on the 6/12 sailing of Celebrity's Millennium. This is our first cruise other than a 4 day Nile cruise which I don't count as it was so short.
1. When the ship is in port may we disembark at any time or is it just in the early morning for the tours?
2. We travel quiet a bit and don't really like organized group tours so with the exception of Rome and Athens we will probably just do our own thing is that okay?
3. Are tours for Rome and Athens a good idea because there is so much to see?
4. Any suggestions for what to pack in the way of clothes?
5. We live in Saudi Arabia and the weather will be extremely hot when we leave here - what are the daytime highs and evenings like in the Mediterranean?
The Mediterranean in June is warm, but not stinking hot -- you'll find it nice and dry during the daytime or at night. I always travel with a waterproof poncho with a hood (just in case); otherwise, shorts, sneakers and baseball caps are pretty much the "uniform" by day. You may want to take along sandals in case it does get hot (much cooler than sneakers, as you probably know).
!. I'm not a big fan of tours either. But Rome and Athens are two places I'd take the ship's tour. It's easier than trying to do things on your own, and there isn't a lot of time.
2. You can disembark as soon as the announcement comes that the ship has cleared local customs. It's normally first thing in the morning.
3. For formal nights aboard ship, I recommend light clothes you can layer.
I take one pair of black silk pants, then a few dressy tops, scarves, jewelry,
one pair of black clothing.