Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2001, 01:15 PM
First Mate

Default What film to use

I didn't know where to post this question, so I'll try it here.

I would like some recommendations on what brand and speed of film to use in a Yashica Automatic 35mm-90mm zoom camera. I know nothing about photography so be gentle with me. <grins>

I will be taking the typical cruise photos... flash shots inside the stateroom, upclose shots in the dining room, some distant shots in the atrium, etc... then, exterior shots in bright sun light both up close and distant... and of course the obligatory sunset shots.

Is there one film that can handle those widely varying lighting conditions? Are there any tips that you can offer to get some really nice photos?

Does it make any difference who does the photo processing?

Thanks in advance... Please make it quick... I leave Sunday, April 8th.

Bob "MacTarheel"
<http://www.netunlimited.net/~mcnairb/PrincessCruiselogo.gif>

It's more than a cruise.... It's duh LUUUUUUV Boat!
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2001, 01:31 PM
TWOFER

Default Re: What film to use

I'm no expert but I have always used Fujifilm 100 or 20 speed with no problems with cruise pictures. What brand and what type is subject to personal preference I think.I have had most of my film developed at Costco, very inexpensive and I get all as 5by7 prints.Many people are using on-line access photo developing, very convenient for sharing over the web.
Old April 6th, 2001, 01:56 PM
RoboCop

ASA 200 is your typical all around film. You may wish to have some ASA400 for any shots of any action.
Jim
Old April 6th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bob,
Being a "MacWahoo" I must admit to some misgivings in replying to your question. I guess we do have a lot in common in that we are both cruisers and Princess fans. Well here goes.
Most of the point and shoot zoom cameras recommend the Max 400 speed film for the all-around shots you describe including some possible "action" shots. I have had good luck with this film in my similar Canon zoom.
For really sharp outside sunlit shots, the 100 speed would be the sharpest though you will lose some versatility unless you take up the whole roll and swap to 400 inside. ASA 200 is OK all around too.
Through many years of trial and error and, finally, a photography course, I have learned to get up close to my subjects (people usually). You can position them on the side with some great background. When you get home, you will not be looking at 400 shots of faraway water, snow, or sunsets and wonder where the heck you were. Postcards available on all cruises already have great shots of statues, cathedrals, mountains and beaches at sunset.
Oh, and BTW, if you are at all like me, you probably have not read the instruction book that came with the camera. It might be a good idea to read it on the plane. There is some great information in there. Hint: you will learn how to use the "fill flash" OUTDOORS! I finally read my book that came with my 30 year old Minolta SLR camera and now I know what all those mysterious looking buttons do.
Take care and have a great cruise.
Jim "MacWahoo" 66
Old April 6th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Bob,
I always use the 200 speed and have had some great pics. I'm sure your pictures will turn out just fine, be sure to post some when you get back. Hope you get that upgrade :-)

Donnassei
Old April 6th, 2001, 06:12 PM
First Mate

Yo 'Hoo...

I guess at that stuff they about you University of Virginia guys ain't all true. <grins> Thanks for the comprehensive information. That will be useful. You suggested reading the instruction book... you're kidding of course. That takes all the fun out of it. <he,he,he> Seriously, I actually have read it and it offers a few suggestions but it's mostly mechanics and guides on what the little symbols mean. Not a whole lot of photography training.

You wrote, "Hint: you will learn how to use the "fill flash" OUTDOORS!" I did discover that little tidbit of knowledge. If you look at the attached photo of my "bride" with the sunset, I used the flash to fill her face with the sun behind her.
Unfortunately, you can see the reflection of the flash in the plastic deck divider. I've made that mistake on numerous occasions, particularly with windows and mirrors in the background. Any tips on how to avoid that?

Thanks again for all the info. Oh, by the way... have you guys ever figured out what a Wahoo is?

Bob "MacTarheel"... who derives his handle from his last name McNair, his home state, and the nickname of one of several institutions of higher learning for which he can claim alumni status, and <u>not</u> because of multiple degrees, if you get my drift. Go 'Heels!!

<BGSOUND balance=0 loop=1 src="http://www.netunlimited.net/~mcnairb/loveboat2.mid" volume=-800>

Old April 6th, 2001, 06:23 PM
First Mate

Yo TWOFER, RoboCop and Donna (da Grasshoppa)...

Thanks for your responses and suggestions.

Bob "MacTarheel" ...who oughtta be paid by Princess for all the advertising I'm doing for them.

Old April 6th, 2001, 10:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bob,
Judy is very attractive. Just don't pose her in front of a reflective surface (like a mirror) when using flash. I learned this after taking many accidental pictures of myself. If you must do it anyway, try to take shot from an angle that won't reflect the flash back to the camera. (not straight on!) BTW, I have one of my better half in a very similar position on the balcony of Aloha deck on the Grand.
Smooth sailing!
Ciao, (Bye y'all in Eyetalian)
Jim MacHoo
Old April 6th, 2001, 11:06 PM
First Mate

Hi MacHoo...

For a UVA graduate, you're pretty smart. <g> I took your advice and looked at the manual again. Like I said, there's not a whole lot of useful stuff in it and that Japanese and Spanish is hard as hell to read. However, I did refresh my memory on the flash options. That little sucker has six different flash modes. By the time I break out the manual and figure out which flash option to use the sun will have set and be coming up again.

Any thanks for the tips... I pass along your nice compliment to the bride of twenty-eight years.

Bob "MacTarheel"
Old April 6th, 2001, 11:11 PM
First Mate

darn sleep deprevation... Let's try that last sentence one more time. It should say...

Anyway, thanks for the tips... I'll pass along your nice compliment to the bride of twenty-eight years.

Bye y'all... (and that's just the way we talk down here... ain't it, 'Hoo?) <he,he,he>
Old April 8th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave

I have always stuck with the old reliable.Kodak and Kodak processing. It costs a bit more but for a special vacation it's worth it. As for film speed I have excellent luck with 400 speed filom . It is a good all around film speed for good action shots ,overcast days and for good night flash pictures.The color on bright days is increadable. You are paying a lot for the cruise,don't skimp pennies on the memories.