Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2001, 04:23 PM
First Mate

Default trip insurance

We are going on Holland America thru the Panama Canal to Costa Rica for 10 days. TA says $160 each for the trip cancellation insurance. Each. The insurance is thru Holland America. Is this the insurance I should buy?? Your input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2001, 06:15 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: trip insurance

I much prefer to buy my insurance from an independent agent. If anything should ever happen to the cruiseline and you hold their insurance, you are out of luck.

Since we only know the line you're sailing on and not the length of your trip or your ages it's impossible to know if you got a good deal or not. I use Travel Guard Insurance and like it very much. If you buy it within two weeks of booking your cruise, it will cover all pre existing conditions.

Carole
Old April 30th, 2001, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi John,
It pays to shop around for trip insurance, we've used CSA a few times with no problem, but then again, we've never had (so far) to make a claim. Also like Carole mentioned Travel Guard is another good one.

Donnassei
Old May 1st, 2001, 12:51 PM
FrankM

John,

I purchased the Holland American Line's Trip Insurance on my last Holland American Cruise. It is a bit more expensive than other insurance, but it covers many more cancellation reasons. I think it is a good deal for the unexpected or a medical emergency you may encounter during your trip. I have an 80 year old Mother and I buy the insurance in the event I have a funeral to go to before or while I am on a cruise.

One couple at our table during my first cruise was called home to a funeral just after the cruise started. I don't know if they had insurance, but if they had the right insurance the cost of the cruise would have been reimbursed by the insurance. The cost of a Panama Canal cruise is not cheap and a few hundred dollars may save a few thousand. You have to assess your own risk. Some people don't buy the insurance at all. It depands on your own comfort level.

FrankM
Old May 1st, 2001, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Go on-line to TravelGuard Onsurance and do a price comparison as well as a benefits comparison before you buy. They price by each travelers age (in our case two different brackets), the length & price of the cruise. Then take the HAL coverage beneftits to compare each feature. It really is not very hard to do a little homework.
Bon Voyage