Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2001, 11:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Australia/NZ Info

We booked a cruise to Australia/NZ on February 3, 2002 on the Legend of the Seas. 2 questions: If we live in NY on what day would we fly out if we have a 2 nite pre-stay in Auckland plus the International DateLine and the amount of flying time. Our TA sounded confused. And do we need a visa? Thanks for any help or suggestions also as to any good shore tours.
Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Dawn Stefano

Default Re: Australia/NZ Info

I'm not great at these time calculations, but I'll relay my experience and maybe it will help you figure it out.

I flew to Sydney last year from Washington, DC, and I think flight times would be about the same from NY to Auckland assuming you have a layover in LA or San Francisco. I had a 5-hour flight to LA, then a 15-hour flight from LA to Sydney. I left Washington at 5 p.m. on February 6 and arrived in Sydney at about 8 a.m. on February 8 (Aussie time). Basically, it's like you're traveling for 24 hours straight, but you lose a day by crossing the dateline.

So if you have a 2-night pre-cruise stay in Auckland that begins on February 1, you would have to leave NY on January 30 according to my calculations.

I'm not sure about VISA requirements for NZ, but for Australia all you need is something that I think was called an ETA (electronic travel authorizaton). You can get this through the airlines or a travel agent, as well as an Australian Embassy. The airline asked me for some personal info and a passport number, and my ETA was approved while I waited on the phone.

I visited Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Cairns and Port Douglas. If you need any specific info about these destinations, e-mail me at stefano2@gte.net. You will love the land down under!

Dawn
Old May 5th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Joyce

We did that cruise 2-12-01. You will have a wonderful time. We stayed in Auckland at the Quay West Apt. Hotel (not through the cruise lines) the night before and watched the ship dock in the morning. We flew United (group rate from RCCL) into NZ and it was an awful flight. Every seat was full and they even separated couples seating them in different parts of the plane. On the ship we had some trouble with an engine and could not get into the sounds which we were looking forward too. Spent two days in Hobart for repairs and never saw Melbourn. We spent two weeks on our own after the cruise and went to Cairns. The flight back was much better although it was delayed 8 hours!!! We had a real adventure but would do it again in a second. We found New Zealand a bit cool. Didn't realize it was that cold that time of the year and really didn't have enough warm clothes. But a good opportunity to buy sweatshirts! Enjoy!!
Old May 5th, 2001, 06:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Joyce

I was so excited about the cruise I forgot your question....YES you need a VISA but you should receive the info from your TA as to where to send for it. Don't wait till the last min!!
We live in Fl. so we left for LA on Feb. 8...stayed overnight in LA...and flew Feb. 9 to Auckland. Arrived Auckland Feb. 11....stayed overnight and boarded the ship Feb. 12. On the way back you arrive the same day you left...ummm! Yes that's right we left March 11....arrived LA March 11...stayed overnight in LA.... flew out of LA March 12 about 9:30pm. and arrived in Fl. March 13 early AM.(about 5hr flight). I have heard that Quantas is the way to go!!! Maybe.
Old May 5th, 2001, 11:17 PM
Carole Dunham

I love Australia and New Zealand. I've never cruised there, except living on a dive boat out of Cairns into the Coral Sea for 10 days. Australia is a land of great diversity. Whatever scenery you want to see, Australia has. It also has a bunch of wonderful, very welcoming people. New Zealand is a magnificent country with some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. I was there for the first time when I was young and strong. There is a 4 day walk called the Milford Trek which is a walk down to Milford Sound, a beautiful area in the South Island. It's New Zealand's fjord country. No glaciers though. Mt. Cook is worth a visit and if you ski, you can heliski there. This is where Sir Edmund Hilary trained for his Mt. Everest climb. I could go on and on but I'd end up writing a travel book I think. You will love it down under.

Carole
Old May 8th, 2001, 04:42 AM
Dale

Hi Margie, found an Australian government site with visa information.
http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/visas.htm
If you are doing any research you may like to try www.anzwers.com.au
It isn't the best search engine on the web but it allow you to search for only Australian or New Zealand sites and so get local knowledge. I am no expert on Australia (though I live here) but if you have any specific questions, particularly about Sydney I will try to help or find out.