Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Passenger

Default western caribbean - ship's shore excursions VS tax

Hi!

We are going to the western caribbean in June on the Norway. It seems that the shore excusions are pretty pricey, especially for a family of 5. Our ports include cozumel, casa maya, grand cayman, and NCLs private island.

My two odest boys really want to see the ruins at Tulum and visit Xel-Ha. This is going to be real expensive! But, I hear that taxis are really numerous and can get us there for a fraction of the cost of the ship excursion ....

What are some thoughts on this?? How can I find out more about the best way to do things in the various ports?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2001, 08:05 PM
Robocop

Default Re: western caribbean - ship's shore excursions VS

g,
Because Tulum and Xel-Ha are both on the mainland and the ship will only let those off in PdC that have signed for the ships tours if you don't book through them you will have to go to Cozumel first and then take the ferry to PdC and then find a Taxi to these places and it won't be much cheaper in the overall expense. additionall you will be wasting a couple hours. In this case it is better to do the ships excursion IMHO.
Jim
Old May 7th, 2001, 11:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ANITA
Default Re: western caribbean - ship's shore excursions VS

We did this trip and apart from the fact that the ship won't let you off at Cozumel, it is a long way. I certainly wouldn't contemplate this by taxi.

This is how the day went:
We were with RCCL. Left the ship at abou 8:30 (straight onto a ferry). On the mainland by 9:15 On a coach by 9:30, one stop and then at Tulum by 11:00. With our guide for 1 hour and then 30 mins by ourselves. Had lunch on the bus, arrived at Xel Ha at 1:30 and left there at 3:00. Ferry at 4:15 back to ship at 5:00

So you can see it is a very tight day and you really don't have much time anywhere. Having said that IT WAS GREAT and I was so glad that we did this excursion.

Hope this help you decide