Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Nathalie

Default Celebrity vs RCI

Hi,

I am planning a cruise for December 2002 (New Year's eve) and I would like your advice as for which Cruise Line I should go for. I am travelling single and would like a chance to meet some other singles but it is not my main priority. Please note that I will be 37 years old when cruising.

Can you compare those 2 Cruise lines based on:

- Food
- Jazz music
- Classical music
- Martini bar
- Wine tasting bar (question: in the dinner room is it possible to buy wine by the glass instead of a whole bottle?)
- Disco
- Entertainment
- Age average
- Chances to meet other singles

As for ships here are the ones I am thinking about, so if you have any recommendation based on the features mentioned above please do not hesitate to tell me.

Celebrity: Constellation, Galaxy, Mercury, Horizon.

RCI: Enchantment, Brillance

Any other advice/recommendation will also be appreciated.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2001, 04:02 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Celebrity vs RCI

I would take one of the newer Celebrity ships. Mainly because of the wine selection since you like that. Couldn't tell you about the music, but believe it or not, the ship I was on with the greatest variety of music was Carnival's Victory. Great jazz and also a string quartet, plus every other kind of music you can imagine. All Celebrity ships have great martini bars. I personally did not like Enchantment of the Seas. Had the worst service I've had in over 40 years of cruising, however, I'm sure other cruisers would have different experiences.

Carole
Old June 26th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Nathalie,

Having been on both RCI and Celebrity I prefer RCI, The service and food on Celebrity is excellent but I found the ship to be more sedate and catering to an older clientele. I am in my late 50's but have been called the world's oldest living teenager!! RCI has more activities than Celebrity and was just more fun.

The dining room service was impeccable,but more formal, with none of the entertainment by the waiters. I kinda missed that.

I don't usually walk out on the after dinner shows, but I did several times on Celebrity.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing really wrong with Celebrity. It was just a little too subdued for my taste. It could have been the fact that it was a 10 day cruise. Maybe the longer cruises attract an older crowd.

Hope this helps.

Judy
Old June 27th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Carole Dunham

Hi Judy,

Longer cruises always cater to an older crowd regardless of the cruiseline. But, that being said, Celebrity is a quieter line and that's one of the things I love about it. The last time I sailed RCI we had a suite on the Enchantment of the Seas. We had the worst service ever. We had champagne glasses in our cabin from the previous cruise and our balcony was so filthy we couldn't use it. The food was just okay, IMHO. Our dining room servers were excellent and very nice. One morning we came down to breakfast in the dining room. Our usual table was filled and we sat at the table next to ours. We waited 20 minutes for anyone to bring us coffee and menus. Finally our own waiters felt sorry for us and brought us coffee and menus. Then they had a talk with the waiters who were supposed to be taking care of us and we finally got our breakfast. I also like the fact that Celebrity doesn't do the non stop announcements that I heard on RCI. Even Carnival was quieter, but then each of us prefer different things. My daughter and I are so tired when we sail we like the quiet. We fly to New York a lot and see lots of Broadway shows so what the cruiseline has to offer entertainment wise usually doesn't interest us much. Like the movies however, either in the cabin or the theater. Good books are also wonderful at night while listening to the sea with our balcony door open.

Carole
Old June 27th, 2001, 08:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Carole,

Interesting about the Enchantment. Never have been on that ship. I have sailed the old Nordic Prince, the Sovereign and the Grandeur 2x. I guess some ships are just nicer than others. I will make sure not to go on the Enchantment.

I would certainly go on Celebrity again depending on the itinerary. I did not dislike the Horizon just would have liked a little more oooomph!!

I did have a funny thing happen on the Horizon. I am single and was traveling with a group of friends. They all had early seating and I had late. I was at a table for 8. The first night 3 couples and I sat down and there was the glaring empty seat next to me. Then along comes a very nice older gentleman, sits next to me, and we all did the introductions etc. He was originally from Ireland, retired in FL but never would say what he was retired from, Oh well who cared, He was very personable, not bad looking either, so I thought things were looking up.

Then we finally found out what profession he retired from..........the priesthood!!!!! He was the Chaplin on board for the cruise. When I told my friends they howled and said " Only you Judy, could pick up a priest on a cruise"

Judy
Old June 27th, 2001, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Too funny, Judy !!!

We have friends who have a priest in the family. He's referred to as "Brother Father", "Uncle Father" and a few more things when he's been into the Jaimeson's.

pamda
Old June 30th, 2001, 04:30 PM
Shan Rose

I agree with Judy....I found Celebrity to be more sedate as well, and yes the entertainment wasn't as good as the RCI. I did walk out on a couple of shows on Celebrity/Century. I also found that Celebrity had somewhat an "Older" crowd as well. Enchantment was a much prettier ship....especially the buffett area vs Celebrity
Old July 3rd, 2001, 08:51 AM
Admiral

If your aim is to meet other singles on either of these cruise lines, don't count on it.
Couples and families are the norm, and you may find no singles at all aboard them.
I recommend checking out singles groups, and picking the ship you want based on which ones they use. Go to CruiseMates Singles area for a list of travel agencies with scheduled singles groups.

The big glitch cruising solo on a ship that is full of couples (I've done this), is dining. With a singles group, you all dine at assigned tables together. During the daytime, you can hang out with them or do your own thing.

Anne Campbell
Old July 4th, 2001, 07:26 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Jennifer

I cruised single twice and had a good time both times. They put all of us "unattached" at a large table for dinner and it was great fun. But I got tired of always going it alone, so I married the waiter and brought him home with me!