Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Nick Kozloff

Default Calica, or Cancun

I had a question about this port of call. I'm going on the Carnival Imagination at 9/3/01. I heard some news about that Carnival is stopping at Calica now instead of Cancun, and the people that thought cancun would be there greeting them in the morning would be disappointed. I was hoping for more information about how far cancun actually is from Calica, and if a shore excurison would be a little less expensive then say a cab ride to cancun? thank you.

-Nick
Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Calica, or Cancun

Calica is not much more than a gravel pit, about 70+ km south of Cancun.

If you get off the ship at the gravel pit, there is a rapacious cab starter who will charge you per body, rather than per cab ride. There is NO bargaining.

I can't imagine why anyone (this is a personal bias) would want to go to Cancun, but that's just me. For what it's worth, Cancun means "nest of snakes" in Mayan.

If you wanted to cab it, I'd put one person in a cab to go into Playa del Carmen and make the taxi deals there. I can't guarantee they will let the cab into the pier area at Calica (we couldn't get in driving a private car, but there were no ships in port at the time.) This might preclude one of your group going to Playa in a cab, renting a car, and coming back to pick up the rest.

On our last cruise, there was a merchant vessel that hadn't finished unloading whatever it was carrying at Calica (where we were supposed to port in) and passengers were tendered off at Playa del Carmen.

There are two ways (other than ShoreX's) to get to Cancun ... cab or drive yourself. We do not (after spending part of every winter in Yucatan) recommend a bus at ALL. It's a distant choice three.

I've looked over the Imagination's itinerary list here on CruiseMates and don't see a thing about Cancun. CM does a terrific job of keeping itineraries up to date.

No problem if anyone can prove me wrong, but I am completely unaware of Cancun EVER being used as a port for a large ship.

If I can offer any other help, please don't hesitate to ask.

pamda -- CruiseMates Utility Infielder
Old June 25th, 2001, 08:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I agree, it seems to me Cozumel is the port for Carnival ships, not Cancun or Calica.

If they are substituting Calica for Cozumel you can go to Ixcaret, a very nice ecological park and a very relaxing way to spend the day.

Mexican resort cities are short on things like good shopping and nice restaurants, the beaches are one of the best assets. Personally I would go to Ixcaret and forget Cancun.

There is the possibility of taking a ferry to Cozumel from Calica, but I don't know the details. I have heard that it is best to get an early start, though.
Old June 26th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Nick Kozloff

Thank-you, you've been very helpful, From what you said I really don't think it would be worth driving to Cancun, thanks

-Nick
Old June 27th, 2001, 02:13 PM
Ted

Nick - Do NOT go to Cancun! It is just a big hotel-infested beach resort! Take a taxi into Playa del Carmen. Fascinating little village. Beaches not bad. Enjoy your cruise.
Old June 27th, 2001, 04:34 PM
Admiral

The "fast boat" ferry goes from Playa to Coz, so one would have to get to Playa first unless things have changed in the last four months. Ferries run every hour and the fare is about $8.

Xcaret is a lot of fun but DO NOT take the forest walk if you are very young, very old, or have had a recent hip or knee replacement.

Let me know if I can add anything else.

pamda -- CruiseMates Utility Infielder
Old June 27th, 2001, 10:50 PM
Tim Rubacky

Nick,

Stay in Calica and head over to Xcaret, a magnificent eco-archilogical water park with great beaches, wildlife trails, underwater canyons & rivers; you can swim, snorkel, swim with the dolphins and eat a some great restaurants or hang out in some great watering holes with great views!

It really makes for a great day and I HIGHLY reccomend it!

Tim Rubacky
Consumer Affairs Editor
Old June 28th, 2001, 09:51 AM
Nick Kozloff

Thank you for the Info. I've heard a lot of good things about this Xcaret place, I think I'm going to take your advise and give it a try. thanks again for your information, but I had one more question. On the beach We like to be involved with some water sports, what kind of activities does Xcaret have, like do they offer maybe waverunners, or say snorkleing at decent prices? WOuld it be cheaper to take an shore tour instead of maybe taking a cab to Xcaret? If you could e-mail me back I would appreciate the more kind info. Thanks again.
Old June 28th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Nick..
XCeret is a wonderful place. We wished we had planned more than just half a day there. The lagoon there isn't typical beach front, so no wave runners. But they do have a snorkel & swim through an underground river that runs to the ocean. They also have a dolphin swim, but that should be booked early!

Regards,
Kuki
Join us on a CruiseMates Group Cruise... here's how:
<http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/CMcruises/CM-cruises.cfm>
Old June 28th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Nick Kozloff

I'm sold!! Xcaret it is, If it is as adventerous as everybody says, then I'm sure we will have a great time, besides I'm on a cruise, how couldn't you have a good time!! Happy sailings, and thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

-Nick
Old June 30th, 2001, 12:46 PM
Dawn Stefano

Nick:

I wouldn't say that Xcaret is adventurous since it's really just a small-scale (by U.S. standards) water-based theme park. But it will certainly provide you with a nice day of sunning, snorkeling and entertainment.

If you're just looking for snorkeling, Xel-Ha is a little further down the coast and is another great way to spend the day. It's not as theme-parky as Xcaret, and the snorkeling in its huge natural aquarium is fabulous for fish life (no coral, though). They also have a river for tubing and a dolphin encounter. The ruins at Tulum are close by so you could make this a side trip.

The Mayan Riviera has some beautiful beaches, too. You'll have a great time whatever you do!

Dawn