Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2001, 09:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default birth certificate or passport?

We are leaving Seward on 8/6 and will end up in Vancouver. Our TA told us that we only need our driver's lisence and b.certificate for identification. Is that right? I'd really like to be able to get home.

Thanks in advance...
Denise
Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Default Re: birth certificate or passport?

It's always better to have a passport. Canadian Immigration is very relaxed at some points of entry, but Vancouver is very tight because of the number of non-US foreign nationals.

If you do use the photo ID/birth certificate appropach, make sure the birth certificate is an "official" one with a raised seal.

pamda -- CM First Time Cruisers Hostess
Old July 1st, 2001, 11:11 AM
Ted

We ALWAYS use our passports! No matter where we are going or coming from. It is so much easier. No hassles from anybody at any time. Never have to worry ahead of time if there will be any problems. Enjoy your trip.
Old July 1st, 2001, 09:31 PM
Shan Rose

Hello,

I totally agree with "Pamda". I had sent away for a birth certificate when I was living in N.J. (I'm orig from So. CA) Anyway the one they sent me didn't have the raised seal and I remember I couldn't use it for my cruise.....so instead of trying to get another I got a passport instead....it's so convenient...and I believe it's good for 10 yrs....you might have to pay extra for that.....but it's great if you ever go to Europe, etc.
Old July 2nd, 2001, 12:47 AM
Admiral

Hi, Shan Rose ...

Passports are good for ten years. Passports for children (I don't know the age limit) are good for -- I think -- five.

Didn't the passport office (usually the post awful) ask for a raised-seal birth certificate?

pamda -- CM First Time Cruisers Hostess and Full-Time Worrier
Old July 3rd, 2001, 12:45 AM
Carole Dunham

My daughter had her first passport, issued in Europe where she was born, when she was 3 months old. I travel within the US a lot and I even take my passport with me then. Perfect ID for everywhere. I wish I'd saved some of the passports I've had. I've been to countries that don't exist anymore.

Carole
Old July 3rd, 2001, 10:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: children's passport

Once they turn 16, they are issued a 10 year passport -- before that, it's only good for 5 years. My son got one about a month before his 16th birthday and had to have it renewed after 5 years. If we could have waited a month or so, it would still have been valid today...
Old July 3rd, 2001, 04:27 PM
Jenny

Default Re: children's passport

It is always better to have a passport, but I live in Seattle and have never had an issue going to Canada (ship, car, ferry, float plane) with anything other than my license (I've had my birth certificate along, but never needed it). Not to say that this would hold true for everyone... just an FYI.