Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2001, 05:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hidden Costs of Cruising

We sail on Sept. 1. on the Sea Princess. While reading the articles on this website, I found the Hidden Costs of Cruising. Does anyone know if Princess has a list of services, food, beverages, etc. that give a price list?

I'm not a cheapskate, just like to plan a vacation budget.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2001, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Hidden Costs of Cruising

HI, Stephanie ...

The biggest "hidden cost" is beverages, whether alocholic or not. I don't know the current cost of a can of Coke (plus 15% tip) but a few Cokes a day can really add up. If you're into more serious drinks, it can skyrocket while you are not looking.

Gambling is not really a "hidden cost" but it can add up.

Then there's the shopping, either on board or on shore. OUCH !!!

Tips are also sort of "hidden" because they are not part of the price of the cruise.

Obviously, the cost of shore excursions is not part of the base price of your cruise. Those can get costly, as well.

I don't know the exact answer to your question, just generalizing.

I do think that the prices for this kind of thing are fairly constant among the mainstream cruise lines.

Bottom line: the price of your cruise is NOT the price of your cruise if you choose to shop, take shore excursions, or use the bar, laundry or (hope it never happens) the ship's doctor.

pamda -- CM First Time Cruisers Hostess
Old July 9th, 2001, 01:04 AM
Frieda

I was on a Princess Cruise to Alaska, Sept. 2000 -- ice cream was $3.95 ;-- the pizza parlors (limited hours of operation) the pizza was free but tipping then and there was expected. Sodas were $1.95 -- + 15% graatuity -- lots of hidden costs oin the Princess lines.
Old July 9th, 2001, 01:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Pamda & Frieda,

Thanks for the information.

I knew that Princess charged for the alcoholic drinks, cokes and ice cream. Somewhere I also read that passengers were charged for coffee, danish and some other food items.

Also, I don't want to embarrass myself by walking away and the waiter chasing me down for my payment.

Thanks again.
Old July 10th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Other extra costs; photo's = a real money maker From $6.95 to $20 for large formal shots. Spa/Beauty treatments - Updo = $35 and they don't wash your hair, Massage = $50 - $200 depending on the treatment & length of time. plus tips of 15% which is sometimes added automatically. Wine Tasting= $5 to $20 but worth the experience at the lower rate if you like to experiment. (We received a recipe book for the $20 one.), Bingo, horse racing, room service tips; although the food is part of your fare, you should tip the server $1 to $2 at the time of service. On shore tips: taxi's, tour guides & driver, porters. With over 9 cruises to date our extra's on the ship account are usually anywhere from $800 to $1600 depending on the length of cruise and how many tours we book with the ship. Avg. $1000 per couple and we do like to have drinks, use spa treatments but don't gamble.
Bon Voyage
Old July 11th, 2001, 01:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for all the advice and information.

I think I have a good idea of how much to budget in for all the extras.

If anyone can think of something that hasn't been mentioned drop a line or two.

Thanks again.