Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2001, 07:38 PM
First Mate

Default NY Harbor Passenger Terminal

I'll be taking my first cruise in August and we'll be cruising in and out of NY Harbor. My little dilemma is: we'll be returning to the NY Passenger Terminal on Saturday at 8:00 a.m. but our plane doesn't leave until 5:30 p.m. that evening. Are there any facilities at the Cruise Terminal where we can leave our luggage for the day while we spend the day in NYC? If not, any suggestions? We don't want to lug it around with us all day.
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: NY Harbor Passenger Terminal

As I recall they do have large lockers there near the front doors. Otherwise -- my only suggestion would be the following -- NYC is a city where money talks and there are plenty of hotel bellmen who would watch your bags for a tip. I may get flamed for this, but I would suggest going to a nice hotel, approaching the bellman with a $20 in your hands and just ask him if he'll watch the bags for a day.
Old July 7th, 2001, 03:33 PM
Admiral

No flaming here. It's exactly what I would do.

Most good hotels have baggage holding rooms and we've used them plenty of times on the "tip" basis.

The dicey thing is your departure airport and the time.

The ship probably won't clear until around 10:00, based on my experience of six or so trips from/to New York, then you have to get your bags (takes a bit of time in New York) and do something with them, then you will have to make sure that you're at the airport in plenty of time. Depending on the airport and traffic, it could take more or less time. I wouldn't leave for the airport any later than 4:00. (Longer if the airport is Newark, maybe shorter if it's LaGuarida.)

Plus, if you don't have a tight flight time, you'll probably be among the last off the ship. It does make your baggage easier to find. That's the good news.

Paul knows NYC a lot better than I do, but your time is seriously limited.

Get bags, get somewhere, it will probably be 11:00, if not later. Leave the place to get to the airport in plenty of time?

You really only have about four or five hours. Not quite "spending the day."

Me, I'd just choose a really super hotel for a long lunch, have the bags held, spend all the time I could strolling Fifth Avenue, and make sure I made my flight.

My recommendation would be the St. Mortiz on Central Park. They are accustomed to holding bags for flight crews all the time so they wouldn't turn a hair at your request. But the Waldorf-Astoria does serve up a dandy lunch.

Does this help or just make you depressed?

pamda -- CM First Time Cruisers Hostess
Old July 8th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Make sure you have previous arrangements to get out of the port area. We took a Saturday Celebity Bermuda cruise in Sept. 2000 and trying to get a taxis from the curb is impossible. We had made our own air arrangements and had prearranged getting from the airport to the ship, but didn't think about the end of the cruise since we intended to stay a few days in New York. Big mistake, you have 5 ships docking all at the same time