Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2001, 08:17 AM
Passenger

Default Transatlantic crossing

My sister and I were thinking about trying a transatlantic cruise next year. I don't know anything about this kind of cruise. What will the weather be like in October? Is a balcony recommended? What kind of activities might we have on all those sea days? We saw the Milinnium at a good price from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale and are seriously condidering it.

Thanks for any information you have on this subject.

Teri
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Transatlantic crossing

My sister-out-law and I did a TransAtlantic in April. We had a balcony but didn't use it much until we got to the Azores. Nasty weather.

We stayed up late, slept late, ate, read, became the ship's trivia champs, and generally just kicked back.

It was fun. Just make sure you take some extra time in Barcelona.

pamda -- CruiseMates First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old July 28th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Passenger

Pamda, what specifically do you recommend we do in Barcelona? We'll research the city, but personal experience is always good to add to the commercial outlook in making decisions on what to see and do. Thanks.

Teri
Old July 28th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Hi, Teri ...

As part of research, I'd buy the Lonely Planet Guide to Barcelona. There is also a terrific magazine called "See" that hits all the high spots. The e-mail address is see@seebarcelona1.com

Maybe they'll send you a copy? I got mine at the hotel and wished I'd had it before.

LaRambla is sort of Barcelona's Main Street ... always busy. We loved the market. There are three parts to La Rambla. Food, flowers and small birds/animals. When you reach the "top" you can take the Metro to La Sagrada Familia, the "new" cathedral. The "old" cathedral is in the Gothic Quarter, where it's fun just to wander around. Just don't do any alleys.

Also make sure that your purse is secure at all times. Serious money should be stored in the hotel's safe or in your bra. The "gypsies" are a slight problem. I was jostled by an older fellow who appeared to be drunk and if Missy has not been a couple of steps behind me and screamed, his disciple was headed for my gold chain.

Highly recommend "4 Cats" as a dinner spot. The pate's were world-class.

The architecture of Antoni Gaudi (which is the origin of the word "gaudy") is very important in Modernist Barcelona. Gaudi was the architect of La Sagrada Familia, the spires of which look like so many pizza cutters, several important buildings, and the insane Park Guell. We walked to La Sagrada Familia, got kind of lost along the way, and came across a wonderful apartment building where the pillars holding up the second floor balconies were sculptured TREES! A very fortunate getting lost.

Also, the Hospital St. Pau is grand.

Of course, I am presuming here that you share my interest in architecture. Maybe nothing could be further from the truth.

Taxis are relatively inexpensive and metered. The peseta is an annoying currency, take a calculator. There are at least two Internet Cafes on La Rambla and a gazillion places to change money. C'mon Euro Dollar!

You probably won't want to spend much time in the airport, but there are some terrific shops if you're outbound from Barcelona.

Also on La Rambla are numerous newstand kiosks. If photography isn't your thing, there are a number of beautiful books with AbFab photos to take home. I take pictures AND buy the books.

Sister-out-law and I managed to do all of the above and a bit more in barely more than 24 hours. We agreed that we could have stayed for weeks.

pamda -- CruiseMates First-Time Cruisers Editor

NOTE: English is fairly widely spoken, but the Spanish is strange. It's Catalan, not Castillian. However, if you ask, most people have Castillian.
Old July 28th, 2001, 02:48 PM
Passenger

Thanks Pamda! Great start for our planning.
Teri