Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2001, 10:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Passport for Southern Carribean?

Royal Carribean Cruise lines suggest we get a passport for the Southern Carribean cruise, is it necessary or not?
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2001, 01:20 PM
Robocop

Default Re: Passport for Southern Carribean?

Necessary, no, advisable, yes. Currently the only Country that says a passport is required is Belize in Central America but even they may have special rules for cruisers. I have heard rumors for quite awhile now that sometime in the future some of the islands may require a passport but like I said, that rumor has been floating around for quite some time. In any case, if you have the time then getting a passport is just the best idea. They only cost $60 and are good for 10 years and are recognized as legal ID anywhere in the world. You never know, even on a ship, when you may have to get off and fly home or something and then a passport makes sure you have no problerms at all. Go to the links section on the homepage and check out the info on the state department site.
Jim
Community Staff Leader
Old August 1st, 2001, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Default Dyslexia Strikes ....

I read that as "Passport for Southern California." My first thought was, "Have they seceded?"

Having a passport is just a good idea. If nothing else, it gives you the opportunity to look even goofier than you do on your driver's license photo.

And who knows? Maybe the cruise fairy will call up one day and say, "Can you go to the Mediterranian next week?"

Passport. Don't leave home without one.

pamda -- CruiseMates First-Time Cruisers Editor and Passport devotee
Old August 1st, 2001, 04:00 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Dyslexia Strikes ....

The great thing about having a passport is the ability to travel almost anywhere at the spur of the mment. I've had a passport in my possession for the past 50 years!

Carole
Old August 1st, 2001, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Passport for Southern Carribean?

Hi Laura,
I have to agree with Robo, a picture drivers license and an origional birth cirtificate will do, but its just so much easier cruising with a passport. If you plan on more cruises or vacations, I'd suggest picking up a passport and they are good for 10 years.

Here is a link with information on optaining a passport:

<http://travel.state.gov/passport_easy.html>

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old August 1st, 2001, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Dyslexia Strikes ....

Hi Carole,
Find it impossible for you to have a passport for 50 years, you can't be over 50?
Take care,

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old August 2nd, 2001, 09:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Passport

A passport is a great thing to have when returning to the US and clearing Immigration. I have never had any trouble with Customs or Immigration since I have had my passport. I have seen folks without a passport standing in long lines while I 'sailed' on through.

Even when returning from a land vacation to, say Cancun, the passport does ease the homecoming.

As Pam said, another opportunity to look goofy!! Actually Passports serve another purpose when you are not travelling....just hang it in the basement to keep the mice away!!!

Judy