Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Passenger

Default Balcony or Bigger?

My wife and I are considering a March cruise with our 2 young daughters (10 and 6). As first time cruisers we are faced with the dilemma of a Celebrity cruise on the Millenium, a cat 2c cabin with a balcony and airfare for $4800 ( a good price?) or a Royal Caribbean on the Explorer of the Seas for $200 more and the large outside cabin w/o a balcony ( they are offering an upgrade from cat H to E)
If it was just my wife and myself it would be the Millenium with the balcony and a cabin size of approx 170sq ft. but with the 2 children the larger cabin on the Explorer, approx 240 sq ft, with a seperate sleeping area for the kids and a sitting area seems more logical. But I still go back to the thought of the balcony....or less stress of a larger cabin or balcony or more room .........etc.
I know it's a personal choice, but I'm looking for input to make that choice,since I haven't any experience.

Thanks

Kurt
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2001, 12:45 PM
martinimomma

Default Re: Balcony or Bigger?

go for the larger cabin...I have a problem with having children your kids age and the balcony...older kids, OK. just relax, however you work it, both are great ships....
Old August 6th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Kendra

Have you priced out 2 cabins, an outside with a balcony and an inside? I found this to be the best way for a family of four to cruise. I know I can't handle the kids in those little cabins for seven days even if you're not there during the day, the kids still need some down time and if they have another cabin to watch their own t.v. shows in it seems to work out great. It seems everyone that writes in to these boards recommends a balcony cabin, especially for watching the sun set and just as an escape for a nice nightcap. I think you'll find the price not to be too much more, check it out and good luck!
Old August 6th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Kurt,
Since you mentioned cruising with your 2 kids, I think the best cruise would be Explorer, just such a fantastic ship for cruising with family/kids. There is just so much to see and do onboard Explorer. I too have to agree, having a balcony is the nicest way to cruise :-) You may want to post thises 2 cruises in the "bargain finder" here at Cruisemates and see what other prices you can get.
Travel agents will e-mail you information on what they have on specific ships, good luck and have a wonderful cruise which ever ship you choose :-)

<http://www.cruisemates.com/findcruise/index.cfm>

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old August 6th, 2001, 07:51 PM
First Mate

Kurt,
I think the Explorer would be better for the girls, lot's of activities for children.
The larger cabin size is a good thing too.
Whichever you decide, I am sure you will be happy, but 170 sq. ft. isn't alot of room for 4 people (I speak from experience, taking my 2 sons on several cruises).
Good luck, and have fun.
Cher
Old August 19th, 2001, 11:58 PM
Rob H

Agree, go for larger cabin without balcony and you have the dollars on Celebrity, try for a suite.