Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2001, 10:28 PM
hppypaul

Default Extreme / Bad Weather Polcies

What will a cruise line do, RCCL in particular do in the event that there is a tropical storm or hurricance bearing down on the caribbean??

Will they cancel the cruise? and issue a refund? or a credit for a future cruise? If they don't cancel, but you still feel it is unsafe to go, what options do you have to get your $$$ back? Does the cruisecare insurance get you anything?

Your help would be most appreciated since there is now a storm brewing east of Barbados for this weekend, and I leave for San Juan PR on Sunday.
Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2001, 10:36 PM
Jim Munkittrick

Default Re: Extreme / Bad Weather Polcies

Ok, Here is my unreliable reply....
There is no way that a cruise line would venture INTO a tropical storm or hurricane..not because of your safety but because of their $100+ million investment in the ship.
We have cruised with a pending major storm, we were actually the last ship that left Dodge Island that day, our itinerary was altered, which, if you read your cruise documents carefully, is at the discretion of the cruise line. If you are not allowed to leave a port (even though a ship is safer at sea than it is tied up to a pier), then that is merely the discretion of the cruise line. Should you decide to not go, then depending onthe insurance policy you purchased you might get a refund, but you had better confirm that fact PRIOR to your decision.
Pre-planning and worrying for the worst is one of the very best ways to raise your stress level sufficiently to increase your blood pressure, ruin a vacation, no matter how much the sun shines and leave you needing another vacation immediatly because of the loss of sleep from worrying....

PLAn on everything being OK and Bon Voyage!
Old August 15th, 2001, 11:23 PM
Carole Dunham

I was in Miami during Hurricane Andrew. Actually, the ships went to sea with a minimal crew and no passengers. A ship can sustain horrendous damage being slammed into the port, enough to sink the ship. I remember picking my way down into Coconut Grove, where Miami's City Hall is located. There was a huge research vessel that had been picked up by the wind and tossed 1/2 mile inland! If a hurricane or tropical storm occurs when yo're at sea, the ship will outrun it (they don't move that fast, just revolve fast) and you'll have an entirely different itinerary. Best advice if you're concerned? Don't sail during hurricane season which is June 1 through Nov. 30.

Carole
Old August 16th, 2001, 12:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

hppypaul wrote:
>
> What will a cruise line do, RCCL in particular do in the
> event that there is a tropical storm or hurricance bearing
> down on the caribbean??
>
> Will they cancel the cruise? and issue a refund? or a
> credit for a future cruise? If they don't cancel, but you
> still feel it is unsafe to go, what options do you have to
> get your $$$ back? Does the cruisecare insurance get you
> anything?
>
Almost the only time a cruise will be cancelled is if the port of departure is affected my the hurricane. Once out to sea, the modern cruise ships move more quickly than the hurriances, and will simply change itineraries to keep the ship and passengers safe.
I had a close call for Hurricane Georges a couple of years back. Sitting in a hotel in Miami the night prior to the cruise, waiting to see if the hurricane was going to force the ship to stay out at sea. We sailed the next day and had great weather.

I've cruised quite a number of time during hurricane season, and that was my only close call.
My GUESS is it would be highly unlikely any insurance policy would cover your deciding not to cruise, if the ship was going out.

Regards,
Kuki
Old August 16th, 2001, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Should a hurricane occur, a ship will bypass the island where it's expected to strike. They have satellite weather, so there is plenty of notice. A cruise ship never gets caught in a hurricane (in the Caribbean, at least). The Captain can substitute a new port, or spend the day under sail. But a ship never stays in port, the worst place for it in a storm.

If you check the small type on your ticket, the cruise line is legally entitled
to change a port at the Captain's discretion -- and doesn't owe you any money if it does.