Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Passenger

Default safety on cruise ships

this might be a stupid poll, but i heard of a story from 1998 about a girl who disappeared from a RCCL ship, i think rapsody of the sea or one of those sea ships. I know it was a long time ago, but what i want to know (excuse me if i sound paranoid) who is on the ship security wise? like security guards, police figures etc. Let's say a passsenger starts freaking out and become violent to others or say a crime is committed and the person is apprehended, where do they put the person while at sea. I know this board sounds really strange but sometimes too much info about the bad side of cruising makes one wonder!
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Default Re: safety on cruise ships

It's my understanding that cruise ships actually have a brig. Never seen one, but that's what I have heard.

Something to check out. There are security people.

pamda
Old August 16th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Cole,
You are correct, there was a girl that disappeared from Rhapsody of the Seas between Aruba and Curacao and til this day has yet to be found. I know there is some kind of security people on ships and also a brig, have heard of some ended up in there, not me of course.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old August 16th, 2001, 09:36 PM
Admiral

She and her parents pulled a scam ... she never really disappeared.

Given the number of folks who cruise each year, there is less crime on a cruise
ship than practically anywhere else at sea.

The hotel manager aboard a Carnival ship told me he's mainly had problems
with drunken NYC cops and fireman. The Captain puts them off at the
next port. I'm sure there are procedures for any crime, but the cruise lines don't say. I've noted a number of security guys on Carnival ships.

When you reboard the next ship after a day spent in port, notice the ID
tags on the security gangway. Many are from Nepal -- they're Gurkas,
the best fighting men in the world.
Old August 17th, 2001, 02:09 AM
Passenger

How do you disappear from a cruise ship, never to be found?
Old August 17th, 2001, 09:13 AM
Passenger

how do you know they pulled a scam? people today are sure sick in the head! i know its a stupid thing to believe everything you hear, but it's nice to be informed!
Old August 17th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Hi Cole,
Everyone now and then the story comes up again and this is the first time I've heard it was a scam? Wonder why they would do that, doesn't make sense. I wish we were imformed about the scam, shame on them!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old August 17th, 2001, 01:57 PM
Passenger

if you read anne's reply to mine, she said it was a scam but does not give any other info! I feel like i sound so paranoid! oh well take care donna
Old August 17th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Hi Cole,
I know the story about that girl from Rhapsody went on for years actually, and we happened to be on that ship a few months later, so thats why I do still remember the story, but have yet to hear they just made it up? It was even on "America's most wanted" about a year ago with no new clues, so where has she been?
No need to get Paranoid while on cruise ships, people rarely just disappear, and once in a great while, you'll hear of someone going overboard, but they are usually found eventually. Just go and relax, no worried while cruising, its just not allowed, .

Take care,

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old August 17th, 2001, 09:16 PM
Len

If someone wanted to really disappear permanently who could stop them from jumping overboard late at night sailing between ports? I know sounds UGLY, but it could happen?
Old August 17th, 2001, 11:34 PM
Robocop

Cole, depending on the cruise line you will either have "Guards" that are often Phillipino or Hawaiian in nationality or in many cases former "Gurkis" who are known as some of the bravest and toughest fighers in the world! The "Officers" are usually former SAS, Police Officers, or Military Officers. I wrote an article about onboard safety that you can find in the archives. A cruise ship is one of the safest places you can take a vacation.
Jim
Old August 18th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Passenger

ok, thanks, i will look for it. i know no where one goes it every 100% safe, one has to have street smarts also!
Old August 18th, 2001, 01:09 PM
travelpower1

Are you for REAL? THIS INCIDENT WAS TRUE!!!!!
The girl was from our area and her parents have spent thousands of dollars trying to find her---she was supposedly smuggled off the ship===

Are you living in a cave ? This incident was on Dateline and 20/20!!!
Old August 19th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Robocop

Take a deep breath travelpower1. There has been more than one incident you know. The one Anne is talking about was a scam and the people were caught etc. Amy Bradley is probably the one you are talking about. Unfortunately I have no doubt that she fell overboard while sitting on the railing smoking a cigarette. She also had had a good bit to drink that evening. Her parents, bless them, just cannot accept that she is gone and have made up fantisies to 'prove' she may have been abducted and is still alive and being held somewhere. Fact is that the only way anyone can fall overboard is if they are doing something stupid like climbing or sitting on the railing. Heck, even a drunk would find it hard to impossible to fall overboard as the rails are so high. The reported incidents of rape, theft and other claims are almost always followed by huge lawsuits. The widely reported rape of a passenger onboard a Carnival ship was a case in point. As a trained investigator I can tell you that on land the chances of this case ever going to court is nil. There is no way it happened, period. These people still made money as the cruiseline just paid them to get rid of the bad publicity. (A huge mistake IMHO). I know the accused and have no doubt he would not do that. Also he never had the time, nor would that many people have formed a conspiricy to perform and cover up this act. It would have taken split-second timing of a preplanned elaborate scheme involving at least a dozen shipboard personel to carry out on this "victim" and trust me, she wans't even in the top 2/3rds of attractive or desirable women onboard! I looked into this case closely as that is what I did an still love to do and talked with a number of people involved and it just didn't happen. On a cruise ship you are in the safest enviroment you could possible be, period. Much safer than in a car, train, plane, home, hotel, resort, hospitial, etc.
Jim
Community Staff Leader and Ex-police officer
Old August 20th, 2001, 10:33 PM
Carole Dunham

Cole, I live in Miami and the story was extensively reported in the Miami Herald since this is where Royal Caribbean's executive offices are. The parents sued Royal Caribbean and Royal Caribbean's lawyers brought in witnesses (definitely plural) who had seen her by herself in Curacao. That had been reported to the parents but they chose to continue the lawsuit. The judge threw it out of court and contemplated giving the parents a very heavy fine since the ship was held up and the FBI were brought in.

Carole
Old August 20th, 2001, 10:34 PM
Carole Dunham

Debby, the ship arrived in Curacao later in the morning when she disappeared. Her parents hadn't reported her missing until several hours after she disappeared. It is presumed that she just got off the ship the usual way.

Carole
Old August 20th, 2001, 10:37 PM
Carole Dunham

Hi Jim,

It IS Amy Bradley I'm talking about. There was such coverage of the so-called incident and then the lawsuit. According to witnesses, she's alive and well and living in Curacao. Whether her parents were in on it or not, who knows, but the parents had been told that she'd been seen alive, but they continued the lawsuit anyway.

Carole
Old June 6th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Lell Kinsey

Default Re: Re: safety on cruise ships

Not sure how to post on this board or to comment on your post...and you may have already gotten your answer. If you are referring to the case of the disappearance of Amy Lynn Bradley, who disappeared off the deck of the Rhapasody of the Sea in March 1998, to this day (June 6, 2005) she still has not been found. Her parents still pray for her safe return and there is a reward of something like $250,000 (yes, you read that right!) for her safe return or for information on the case. Her case file as a missing person is still posted on the FBI web site.
Old June 9th, 2005, 01:42 PM
cruisinfan

As a matter of fact if you go on msn.com to read the story on the 18 yr. old missing in Aruba there is another link in the middle of that article that reads "teen not the only one missing in the caribbean" and if you click on that it is a story on Amy Bradley, says the reward is 260,000.
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:53 AM
cruisingrandma

I have never worried about my safety on a cruise ship. I have never worried about it sinking or our airplane going down. i guess I am jsut a positive person. I am a person who believes that u must use common sence in whatever u may do. Never go alone with strangers. Safety in numbers always. If it seems not to be right. it probly isnt right. So think is the big word.... I hope they find the girl in Aruba. Safe and sound. but i am afraid they wont after all this time. Such a shame. My heart goes out to the parents. I Have 2 daughters and would die if they were missing..
Old June 10th, 2005, 01:20 PM
venice

post 911 has brought about a heighten concern for both the safety of the guest and ship and crew...If recent incidents have taught us anything..there is no place in the world that is 100% safe..when you travel you take normal precautions and stay very aware of your surroundings but you don't go paranoid about safety or it will ruin your trip