Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2001, 08:26 PM
Steven

Default Alaska cruise recommendation

My wife and I were given (from Marriott) a 7 day Alaska cruise on either Celebrity or Royal Carribean. I would appreciate any advice on which cruise line/ship, which cruise itinerary, best time to cruise Alaska and any other general advice you would have for an Alaskan cruise.
Thanks for the information.
Dr. Wolchinsky
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2001, 10:32 AM
David Starkey

Default Re: Alaska cruise recommendation

Having taken Royal Carribean and Celebrity to Alaska several times each I would suggest Celebrity is by far the better choice.(we are leaving next week to sail the Infinity of Celebrity to Alaska again.) We have had excellent weather traveling in mid-June sailings and that normally is when we sail to Alaska.(we are going in Sept because our cruise was cancelled due to mechanical problem aboard the Infinity in June.

You never really know what the weather situation in Alaska will be, but I am sure you will enjoy the natural beauty no matter when you sail.

We have done the glacier routes and the round trips from Vancouver and find R/T
Vancouver to be a better because it has more options for flights and connections than the glacial routes.
Some people think the Glaciers offer a more beauftiful setting, but honestly to me its not any better.

Enjoy your cruise.
Old August 27th, 2001, 04:58 PM
Carole Dunham

Like David I would agree that Celebrity is the finer of the two cruiselines, but it really depends on what you are hunting for in a cruise. Radiance is brand new this year Summit will be out next year and Summit will do the one way and Infinity will do the round trip. Unlike David I find the one way much more spectacular than the round trip. I've done 7 Alaska cruises and will do my 8th on Summit next August. My usual favorite time to cruise is also mid-June. I've had the best weather then, sunshine even in Ketchikan which is the rainiest city in the US. Whichever ship and itinerary you choose, have a wonderful cruise.

Carole
Old August 28th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Ketchikan ...

If you can't see the top of the mountain, it's raining. If you CAN see the top of the mountain, it's about to rain.

I'm with Carole on the one-way. I prefer the south to north itinerary. We were blown away on June 21 one year when we could see the glow of sunset on one side of the ship and the glow of sunrise on the other.

I, too, would choose Celebrity.

pamda -- CruiseMates First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old September 1st, 2001, 10:54 AM
AnnMarie

I just returned 8-10 from two weeks on RCCL's Rhapsody in Alaska. These were my 27th and 28th cruises but my first to Alaska. In the 1980's RCCL was our favorite cruise line...mid priced, most beautiful ships afloat (they still may be), top drvice and food. THIS HAS DEFINITELY CHANGED over the years. Although we have sailed on many lines, I have never taken a Celebrity cruise. However, I would recommend you take Celebrity over RCCL! After two weeks on the Rhapsody I can tell you that the only thing it has going for it right now is it's fantastic captain...who, by the way, should probably be the CEO of RCCL. If he were, from what I observed, the very rude and very poorly trained (in human relations and creating passenger loyalty) purser's staff would quickly be replaced. I stood in line at the purser's desk ( an everyday situation on this ship ) and actually made notes on the back of a daily program concerning the unbelieveable treatment of some passengers by a tour desk employee. The fundamental element seemed to be: lack of training in dealing with "guests". While it is necessary to inform guests that certain tours are sold out, it is the WAY in which this, and other information was conveyed to "guests" aboard the Rhapsody that was completely out of reason. I want to add that I did NOT observe this attitude in other departments. Enjoy Alaska and try Celebrity...however, I believe RCCL and C may now be one in the same!
Old September 1st, 2001, 11:10 AM
AnnMarie

I just returned 8-10 from two weeks on RCCL's Rhapsody in Alaska. These were my 27th and 28th cruises but my first to Alaska. In the 1980's RCCL was our favorite cruise line...mid priced, most beautiful ships afloat (they still may be), top drvice and food. THIS HAS DEFINITELY CHANGED over the years. Although we have sailed on many lines, I have never taken a Celebrity cruise. However, I would recommend you take Celebrity over RCCL! After two weeks on the Rhapsody I can tell you that the only thing it has going for it right now is it's fantastic captain...who, by the way, should probably be the CEO of RCCL. If he were, from what I observed, the very rude and very poorly trained (in human relations and creating passenger loyalty) purser's staff would quickly be replaced. I stood in line at the purser's desk ( an everyday situation on this ship ) and actually made notes on the back of a daily program concerning the unbelieveable treatment of some passengers by a tour desk employee. The fundamental element seemed to be: lack of training in dealing with "guests". While it is necessary to inform guests that certain tours are sold out, it is the WAY in which this, and other information was conveyed to "guests" aboard the Rhapsody that was completely out of reason. I want to add that I did NOT observe this attitude in other departments. Enjoy Alaska and try Celebrity...however, I believe RCCL and C may now be one in the same!