Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2001, 12:44 PM
Leeanna

Default Vancouver Airport

I am sailing with my parents Southbound on the Dawn Princess on Sept 8. I have been reading all the info I can and it all sounds wonderful. I am so excited, that inside the little six year old is saying "are we there yet"!!!

In the last 2 days I have come across several messages concerning the Vancouver Airport and how bad it is. How disorganized and how it can take over an hour just to get through all the areas and customs before getting to the gate.

I have read many messages about Princess disembarkation and I am getting somewhat confused. I will be traveling with my parents who both have health problems and am wishing to avoid any long periods of standing or excess stress.

Could someone let me know how it really works with Princess and what we can expect at the Vancouver airport.

Since we leave for our land tour on 8/5, I need an answer rather quickly. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2001, 04:50 PM
Rob H

Default Re: Vancouver Airport

Hi Leeanna,
I cannot speak to Princess Lines experience but I can help in the Vancouver Aiport as I live in BC and travel back and forth.

First here is the website for Vancouver Airport and it is informative and contains a section on CRUISE passengers, what to expect. Please read it as it is detailed on the steps.
http://www.yvr.ca/guides/frmguides.htm

- VANCOUVER Airport is undergoing some construction in the domestic area and they recommend you allow for time. Local flights they suggest two hours from the norm of one hour.

- An Airport User Fee exists and must be paid prior to going through security to board your plane. Its not in your plane tickets cost.
You can purchase your AIF ticket at a staffed counter located in front of security or from an ATM type machine near the stores and the counter.
Its $10 CDN

- US Customs pre-clearence is done at Vancouver Airport which means you check into your airline counter and then take your baggage through US Customs, its then put thru to your airline.

- Its a large airport but the signs are well layed out and the US section is not hard to miss also you will fill out a US Custom form.

- The Vancouver Crusie Port handles the Bus and baggage very smoothly with the various cruise lines. Once cleared off the boat , you would proceed very quickly. Its about a 20-30 minute bus ride to the airport and I presume you are using Princess transfers.
Taxis are about $20 and same time.

- Ensure you tell your cruise line you need to be off soon to get your plane and you are travelling with your folks.

hope I've helped

Rob
Old September 2nd, 2001, 05:53 PM
Leeanna

Thanks for the info. I checked out the web site and it was very helpful. Your info and the website have eased my anxiety and I have already developed a plan to keep my parents from getting too stressed. Thanks again.
Old September 2nd, 2001, 09:07 PM
Rob H

You all have a great trip and its nice to hear of folks who want to take a vacation with their parents.
PS: take lots of films with you.. it goes fast and do not be shy in asking folks to take a pictures of all of you together.

Rob