CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   painless passport process.... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/240019-painless-passport-process.html)

Chyna_C August 31st, 2001 06:10 PM

painless passport process....

Hiya everyone!
I finally broke down today and applied for my passport. For some reason I thought it was going to be some big grueling process but instead I found it quick and easy. Maybe it was the thought of having to deal with the government! LOL I went to a passport window at one of the post offices here. I went to the place listed on the website and after arriving found out they no longer take passport applications at that office. Luckily the window had moved only about 4 miles up the road. I was told by one lady at the window it would be 2-4 weeks and when another lady finished waiting on me she said 3-5 weeks. I will start my count on Tuesday and see how long it will really take.

99 days and counting!! (Sensation 12/9)

Mike Mastellar August 31st, 2001 06:55 PM

Re: painless passport process....

Cyna;
Great to hear this. Now that you have your Passport you will be able to take advantage of those "last minute" bargains to faraway lands. :)

You will never regret getting your Passport. It is the only identification that is recognized worldwide. Also when you change jobs and have to furnish proof of residency and citizenship one passport is all you need.

I hope your wait is not the full 5 weeks. I have heard of it taking far less time. When I got mine, about 25 years ago, it took less than two weeks and each renewal has taken about the same amount of time.

The only negative thing I have found about having a passport is: Each time I renew it the guy on the old passport is a lot younger, thinner and better looking than the guy on the new one. :)

Take Care;
Mike
Monday Chat Host

cruzdiva August 31st, 2001 07:06 PM

Hi Mike,

I can certainly relate to how we look on old vs new passports. Only time I broke tht universal rule was an old passport photo that had been taken when I'd been pretty sick for about 10 years. Then I had surgery, got well, lost weight, dyed my hair and went to have my new passport photos with my hair done and makeup on. I looked better in the new photos. I won't with the next passport though, oh well. I will bet you anything the passport will take far less than 5 weeks to get there. The big rush is in late spring and early summer which is when most people travel. It's fall now and things are slowing down. But I'd be searching the mailbox everytime I heard a truck drive by!

Carole

Donna August 31st, 2001 07:50 PM

Hi Chyna,
I'm sure you won't regret getting the passports, its the only way to travel. I can't believe I carried all the birth cirtificates and drivers licenses for the first few cruises, duh! I have a feeling you will see those blue passports in your mailbox in around 2 weeks, this time of year they are slower. Congrats!

Happy Cruising!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host

Ginnie August 31st, 2001 11:22 PM

I had a funny thing happen to me at Miami airport, a few years ago.I was arriving from overseas and went through immigration. The official looked at my passport, looked at me, looked at my passport again and said: "If I were you, I would get a new passport, this picture of you is awful". My passport was about 5 years old, and I hated the picture as well. It had been taken by an instant camera in a camera shop. Well, I took this to heart and went to a photographer and had my picture taken and renewed my passport. I now look like myself in the photo and haven't had any comments from an official since. I didn't know that I was that vain.
Happy Cruising!

Rob H September 2nd, 2001 09:02 PM

Talk about getting official recommendations.
It's funny as my Canadian Citzenship card shows me with a full head of thick hair and a beard but my passport shows me with reduced hair and no beard.
Passports we have to renew each five years.

Rob