Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2001, 07:39 PM
First Mate

Default Security Precautions

Can any one tell me what sort of security precautions are used by cruise lines. MY wife and I are going on our first cruise in November. We are driving, not flying. Do cruise lines make you go through metal detectors? Do they xray luggage. We are a little nervous after the recent events.
Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2001, 09:02 PM
Ginnie

Default Re: Security Precautions

Cruise lines have very strict boarding procedures. Depending on the cruise line, you have to go through metal detectors, as your carry on luggage does. I'm sure that your checked bags are going through metal detectors as well. On our last 2 Royal Caribbean Cruises they took our photograph upon check-in and it somehow, invisibilly appeared on our boarding pass. We cruised with our whole family last year. My 9 year old granddaughter had her brother's boarding pass as we reboarded in St. Thomas. The young sailor on the gangway said that she could not go on board, as this was not her proper boarding card. I then looked in his screen and noticed, that the picture was of my grandson. He was right behind her and they had inadvertantly switched passes. Up until that time, I was not aware how strict the boarding procedings are. It made us all feel very good and safe. I have had my purse searched as well. I feel secure on a cruise ship, as the cruise lines do an excellent job of sreening their passengers upon boarding and reboarding.
Old September 15th, 2001, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Ginnie,
You must of cruised on either Voyager or Explorer, we noticed that security procedure while cruising on Explorer, seemed to work well. You also have to go through that when leaving the ship too, and they did look and check all the pics, plus it really doesn't take up a lot of time.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old September 17th, 2001, 12:26 AM
Admiral

There is very heavy security now in U.S. ports of embarkation. The guards who are
responsible for security aboard ships are very, very well trained. Princess, for example, uses Gurkhas, the legendary legendary British military unit from Nepal.

Cruise lines have always been very concerned about security, more so than airports. If you recall, the Achilles Lauro was hijacked in the Mediterranean during the early '80's ... no one in the industry has ever forgotten this.

I'm a New Yorker, have been through the worst experience of my life during the past week. I personally would feel safer on a ship than just about anywhere else.

Anne Campbell
Editor, CruiseMates
Old September 17th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Ginnie

We sailed the Grandeur of the Seas November 4, 2000 with our grandchildren, and sailed the Legend of the Seas this past January/February. We will be cruising again with our children and grandchildren on the Explorer on October 20., and expect security to be even tighter, uinder the circumstances.
God bless America!
Old September 27th, 2001, 01:04 AM
cruzdiva

We were just on Royal Princess. In fact we were the last ship to leave New York before the attacks. We've always been through an x-ray procedure when we've boarded a ship and now our hand luggage was searched as well - everytime we boarded the ship in port. Security was definitely heightened. BTW, almost all ports today are closed. In otherwords, you need to board the ship in only one fashion. You will have no access to the ship any other way. It is a safe feeling.

Carole