Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Chyna_c

Default Baggage and New Security Question

I was planning on buying some of those cable ties for my checked luggage, will that even be allowed now with all the heightened security?
Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Baggage and New Security Question

Something to keep in mind: since you can't carry any sort of cutting device onboard with you, how will you cut open the cable ties?
Old September 19th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Matt

a pair of fingernail clippers will cut those plastic zip-tie cable ties just fine. you can find the ties at home depot or lowe's
Old September 19th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Logan Airport is not allowing nail clippers to be brought on board...
Old September 19th, 2001, 05:26 PM
Rob H

One approach might be to use the plastic twist ties. Is not the idea just to prevent casual snooping / taking from your lugguge.
The intent person will cut regardless if serious in getting items from your lugguge
Old September 19th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Matt,
I'm sure those fingernail clippers will work just fine, but you can't even have them on any carry-on bags Heard from someone that just flew, they took her husbands nail clippers away, so that won't work either, but thanks for tht tip.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old September 19th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Familiar Face

If a cable tie were used and the luggage owner noted it had been cut when retrieving the luggage, that would be the clue that someone had, indeed, snooped... or stole.Rob H wrote:
Old September 19th, 2001, 09:13 PM
Chyna_C

Wouldn't there be sissors, nail clippers (for sale) on board the ship? Or are we all going to have to forgo personal grooming to travel? I have heard even disposable shavers being taken away, I can't go a week w/o a lady bic! I guess the cruiselines will make good money sellng all these "forbidden" items now?
Old September 20th, 2001, 12:27 AM
CC

I was going to put my (toenail) clippers in an outside pocket of my checked in luggage as well packing our shaving razors in the check-in luggage. If perchance those are confiscated, then we planned on buying both at Ft. Lauderdale before going to the ship (heck of a lot cheaper than on board).
Old September 20th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Chyna_c

Actually I am not flying at all, I am driving to the port but I have no clue as to how strict they will be now with the new security measures in place, but I had thought of doing what CC said, putting them in an outside pocket of the checked luggage.
Old September 21st, 2001, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Nail clipper and files, razors, etc. must be packed in your checked baggage now as I understand it. As mentioned, just put your nail kit in an outside zippered compartment of your checked bags. Worst case scenario, if it is lost or confiscated, ask a cabin steward for assistance with a sharp instrument. Unfortuantely, the sundry shop on board your ship will not open until after you set sail, so you may not be able to unpack for a few hours if you depend on that.
We will all have to rethink our packing skills and entrust our possessions to the airlines primarily again.
Bon Voyage
Old September 30th, 2001, 11:34 AM
Shirl

What about using duct tape or electrical tape? It's not pretty but could make your luggage easier to locate and discourage snooping...

Shirl
Old October 1st, 2001, 11:23 AM
Robocop

Chyna_C,
We just returnmed from two cruises and we used cable ties on both while getting on and off. No problem and the ties were not broken. I am sure they use dogs and X-Rays and as there was nothing suspicious no problems. Now on carry-on's, don't seal them as you WILL have to open them for inspection in all liklihood.
Jim