Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2001, 12:36 PM
SuzieQ

Default What do you do if your cruise price goes down?

Hi all,

If you see that your cruise price has gone down, how do you go about getting the lower rate if you have already deposited and gotten a confimation # at the higher rate?

Do you ever have to take "no" for an answer.

Is it time sensitive?...my TA isn't in until Monday and I don't want to hear sorry, that was a weekend special!
Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2001, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: What do you do if your cruise price goes down?

Hi Suzie,
I'd for sure give your travel agent a call on Monday and see what she/he can do about the price reduction, sometimes they can pass the savings on to you, good luck, hope it works in your favor.

Happy Cruising!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old September 23rd, 2001, 10:28 AM
SuzieQ

Thanks Donna,

Someone advised me to call the cruise line directly and put a "hold" on a cabin of the same category we currently have booked but at the new, lower price.
(Only because the TA wasn't in til Monday)

They said on Monday, our TA can try to get the cruise line to adjust our current booking to the lower rate...or, we can give a deposit on the new, lower price booking and have it transferred to our TA. Then, we just have to cancel the original, higher priced booking. I want my TA to get the booking, just want to save the money.

I hope I'm doing the right thing and won't end up losing both cabins!
Old September 26th, 2001, 11:39 PM
cgb

We have stumbled upon this same problem twice. The agency we have dealt with GUARANTEES to give you the adjustment. The first time it was a breeze. Then we booked another cruise & had them match a lower price. A few weeks later we saw the price had again dropped. This time we had a little more trouble, had to jump through additional hoops, & were told our agent had to go to a very high honcho in the co. (which was supposedly very uncomfortable) & get special permission to cut our price & that that was the reason for the delay in the initial balking, & delay in a response. Next our friends found that their category on that same cruise dropped AGAIN! This time the agent said she was turned down by the head person but would go ahead & give them the new price because they were such good customers (they were booked on a 2nd cruise with Renaissance!). We are now concerned that our agent is probably sick of hearing from us & would rather not have to deal w/us next year as yes, we do try to get the best price. We are also afraid we may see the price drop even further in light of recent developments. A couple of bucks is one thing. But since we cruise on a tight budget, several passengers at $l5 to $60 per person is more than we feel like absorbing just to be nice! (Yes, I realize they are trying to make a living & with all the price changes in this industry, it can be a headache. But it's either that or lose the ENTIRE commission when they lose the customer.)
My advice to you is: In the future, get the agency you deal with's price adj. policy IN WRITING. They can email it to you or they may have it posted on their sight. Keep a copy! Also ask very specific questions as to HOW you must go about getting the adjustment. Sometimes their are certain restrictions that can make it difficult to next to impossible. - Hope this helps you in the future!
Old September 27th, 2001, 06:18 PM
betmart

I fully agree that you should always try to get the lowest price. However, to take the other side for a moment, I think there ARE some reasons why existing cruise reservations booked way in advance should maybe NOT always get those last minute discounted prices. We often jump on last minute bargains, and we deal with the uncertainity, last minute arrangements for kennels, travel to the port arrangements, etc. because we feel it is worth it too "pay" this inconvenience to get the great price. You want to book your cruise way in advance, have your cabin already selected, have lots of time to make arrangements, etc. and all the other conveniences that come with booking in advance, and then get the lower price without giving up anything. I don't know what the answer is -- I waiver back and forth -- but I DO see the side of the cruise lines not reducing advanced bookings when they are trying to fill those last remaining cabins with those willing to go through the inconviences that are inherent with a last minute booking .
Old September 30th, 2001, 01:55 AM
mlb

I see your point, but let's look at it from another point of view. First of all, I don't think most of the price adjustments given are for the "last min." prices. Also, I would love the opportunity to be SURE I could decide on my cruise much closer to cruising time rather than a year in advance. Who knows what might come up between now & then? As we travel with more than 2 per cabin, it is almost imperative to book far in advance just to get a reasonable deal. If we waited until even 4 or 5 months ahead, we would be out of luck to get the category we need at the time of year we want to go (spring break)- in almost any price range. Otherwise, we definitely would book closer to our vacation. (In our opinion, the people booking at the last min., getting the last minute deals are the lucky ones. They are able to wait til the last minute to make plans to cruise. Many of us can't for various reasons.) Additionally, most of the price adjustments we have asked for - in fact, ALL of them - have come more than 2 months out from sailing, before we have paid in full. We could still cancel our cruise w/no penalty & rebook for the lower price if we didn't get the new price. (After the 60 day cut-off & the cancellations have appeared by those who did not pay, then you start seeing the last minute deals others must "suffer with". -And why should we, the customer, have to 'give up' ANYTHING for booking so far in advance? It helps the cruiselines plan, too. . The cruiselines have our deposit money to use for l0 months before final pymt. time. I would gladly keep this money in my own savings or wherever until the final 2 months. Last of all, many companies promise to adjust the price if it goes down. No one forced them to make this promise.Though I once had a T/A call and offer me a fairly well priced upgrade, I have NEVER had a T/A call ME & notify me of a lower price, though many have told me they watch. (However, I realize most of them have far too many customers to do a very good job of it - esp. for us lower category cruisers on a tight budget. I am not blaming them for that.) Yet I have found lower rates myself on 4 occassions by keeping tabs on the price myself. And when I find them, I want them. Simple as that. I do cruise a fair amount & have brought several customers to my cruise T/A. Therefore, I expect them to honor their guarantee promise.