Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

Old September 30th, 2001, 08:21 PM
suzie

Default Should I go???

Hi . This is a question and request for advice from all of you.

I am booked to cruise on RCCL Dec.7th from Singapore to Bali, then 4 ports in Australia, ending up in Sydney. I am a single mom, travelling with my 14 yr. old daughter. We were planning on a 2 night stay in Singapore before boarding the ship. With the government warnings for Americans to avoid travelling to Maylasia and Indonesia, would you cancel this trip??? I know Singapore is an island state, but it is right there in Maylasia... And isn't Bali in Indonesia? I have to make the final payment in 1 week, so I really could use some help with this one!!
What would you do??

Suzie
Old October 1st, 2001, 06:34 AM
HilaryB

Default Re: Should I go???

Sorry to be so blunt, but if you have to ask other people if you should go, you don't sound like the type of person that should be traveling right now.
Old October 1st, 2001, 10:11 AM
suzie

That was truly a less than constructive comment. I didn't find it blunt..just rude & unhelpful.
Suzie
Old October 1st, 2001, 10:18 AM
Robocop

I agree Suzie, BTW folks, we offer only helpful replys here, not comdemnation. I'll let this stay just so others can see how NOT to help.
As for your question Suzie, I think that you would be okay in that area but I certainly would not go off into the interior of any place in that region. It has nothing much to do with the attack we had in the USA but mostly because this area is very unstable out of the cities and quite dangerous. The terrorists in that area do target tourists. Look at the news coming out of the Phillippines and judge for yourself. I truly believe that cruising is still the safest form of vacation and even if a tragedy should occur, cruising would still have a better safety record than any other form of vacation time.
Jim
Old October 1st, 2001, 01:13 PM
HilaryB

The reply was meant to be helpful. Thanks Robocop for your judgement call on my reply. My reply was not condemnation, my point is that if someone is that uneasy about traveling, they need to make up their own mind, not look to someone else to do it for them.

I'll hold the rest of my thoughts, because you would condem me. I am just interested in Suzie's well being.
Old October 1st, 2001, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Hi, Suzie ...

Singapore is one of the safest cities on the planet. Don't miss the zoo for breakfast with the orangutangs or the Satay Club for a wonderful, cheap evening. (Get a copy of the Lonely Planet Guide before you go.)

I do know that the world bridge championship has been moved from Bali to Paris because of worries by the players. A friend who was really looking forward to Bali is quite peeved by the quickly-taken decision. It's his opinion that Bali is a LOT safer than Paris.

I think it sounds like the trip of a lifetime and I would definitely GO !!!

As to Hilary's comment and Robo's follow-up -- isn't that what we are here for? To answer questions if we can?

It's unlikely that one will find people with personal knoweldge of far-flung locations next door or in the supermarket.

You will LOVE the "Land of Oz." Don't buy your souvenirs downtown in Sydney, go to Paddy's market. Again, a Lonely Planet Guide will be your best friend.

Since you have a teen with you, the McDonalds at Circular Quay is the second best in the world. Also, book a "coffee cruise" if you have enough time.

I'd go in a minute, since that's the question you asked.

pammo -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old October 1st, 2001, 02:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry, HillaryB, I can't agree...

Suzie is uneasy, looking for information that will help her make a rational decision. How can she do that without rational information?

Just maybe, there's someone out there who has been to the area...knows someone there...or who has other contacts that can provide other information. For example, I've sent Suzie's message to friends in Singapore and Australia. Just maybe they might be able to provide a perspective that none of us in the USA can provide.

Do you honestly think that someone in SIngapore or Audtralia is going to make up Suzie's mind for her? As a single Mom, I'll bet she's got far more smarts than that.
Old October 1st, 2001, 03:32 PM
suzie

Thank you all for your perspective on this!
I guess with all the uneasiness in the world right now, I was having a little anxiety attack. There is probably no way of knowing what the world situation will be in 2 months, so I think I'm just going to make the final payment on the cruise, and re-evaluate things as we get closer to December. If things are unstable in Bali at that time, I would assume Royal Caribbean would just skip that port.
Thank you again. Sometimes it really helps to hear opinions from travellers who have been to these parts of the world.
Suzie
Old October 3rd, 2001, 08:18 AM
Admiral

The problems are in Jakarta, not Bali. You won't find any problems in these ports.
Old October 5th, 2001, 02:49 AM
suzie

I really want to thank everyone for the advice and support on this dilemna.
I've decided to go! Just e-mailed all of my daughter's teachers to get her assignments early (she'll be missing the 2 weeks of school right before Xmas vacation).
Here's hoping the airlines don't cancel any of my flights!!
So, I'm now getting re-excited about this cruise.
Once again, I really appreciate all the help and support you have all given me!
Suzie