Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2001, 01:13 AM
cruiselove

Default Asking my T/A to watch for low cost upgrades?

We always get inside cabins when we cruise since we are on a pretty tight budget. For the past few years we have used a large agency not in our own city that was swallowed up by a still larger cruise agency group. We have already gotten one small price adjustment since booking for our 2002 cruise, & got one on our big "30th anniversary" cruise last year. Since we are not big spenders, & since our agent handles many, many bookings, would it even be worth a try to ask her to please contact us if she should see a chance at a balcony upgrade for a very minimum extra cost? Five or six years ago we sailed a new ship at a busy time of year. We were using a different agency then. About 3 or 4 wks. before sailing, our agent phoned to ask if we'd like a balcony cabin for only $l00 more, but we declined. We kicked ourselves once we got on board! If my agent asked me that now, I'd JUMP on it. We are dying to try a balcony! But aren't most T/As just too busy to be watching for that sort of thing to remembering they have some cheapskate customer out there wanting a deal? What would you agents out there think if a customer asked you to try & watch for a balcony deal for them?
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2001, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Asking my T/A to watch for low cost upgrades?

Hi ...

Watching for price reductions and deals is what good TAs do. Doesn't matter how big the agency/office is ... a GOOD TA does it.

You're not a cheapskate. To paraphrase a TV commercial, "We get our money the old-fashioned way. We hang on to it."

Everybody likes a good deal !!!

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old October 6th, 2001, 09:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hey Cruiselover,
By all means, call your travel agent and ask if getting that balcony is possible, any good one will certainly check it out for you, good luck and happy cruising.

Donna
Tuesday chat Host
Old October 6th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Passenger

Persistence! This will be our first cruise as well in Feb. After reading rates had lowered I called my TA. Initially she said rates had not changed....but after an upgrade offer, and persistent phone calls we now have a balcony for $131.CDN more than we paid for a inside cabin.Great deal! Good Luck!
Old October 6th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Len

Hi, I don't think anyone is a "cheapskate" we have to live within our means! I too love to pamper myself one week a year and take a nice trip, but I usually have to settle for coach rather than first class, but I still have a nice time and make the most of my well earned vacation! Your not "out of line" to want a bargain and that is what a good TA should be doing! Also keep yourself well informed of any specials you might see on the internet and contact your TA if you discover something that maybe he/she has overlooked. Happy Crusin'
Old October 7th, 2001, 12:28 AM
First Mate

Thank to all of you who answered & gave me the guts to pursue this. (Which I AM going to do.). Hopefully something good will happen, but if not, we'll still have a great time. That saying, "you don't miss what you've never had" has applied to us so far, so getting to try a balcony will come someday, if not the next cruise. And by the way, this is a SUPER SIGHT!