Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2001, 10:23 AM
First Mate

Default Fear of Flying

I just got a phone call from my wife telling me that there was some terrorist expert on the news says Bin Laden is planning a big attack against the west. We are scheduled to go on our first cruise on Golden on Nov. 17. I'm not worried but my wife sure is.

She's talking about cancelling the trip because she's afraid of flying. I feel that we have no control over what might and might not happen so why should we panic and cancel? I'm looking foward to our cruise but I know it is going to be a stressful topic until we go, if we go. If we cancel now we will lose alot of money.

I would like to know other people's opinions on this. I would also like some advice on how to ease her fears of flying while all this is going on.
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Fear of Flying

Tell her what they have been saying on TV and what I think personally. If anyone even started heading towards the front of the airplane in a threatening manner they would be dead before arrival because the rest of the passengers would take care of the situation before it became a situation.

Yesterday some mentally disturbed person ran towards the front of the plane and banged on the cabin door once before the passengers tackled him and restrained him until the plane could land in Chicago (I think). He will be in jail for a long time.

Second, the terrorists have done the airplane thing and they are most likely not going to do that again because people are prepared for it.

Finally, the airlines have changed their policies regarding hi-jakers. Before the attack they were trained to let the hijakers in the cabin and the worst they thought would happen would be a detour to Cuba. Now the airlines are teaching the pilots to fight back and not to open the door, no matter what. Just to get the plane on the ground as soon as possible.

Yes, there is a threat, but the threat of getting hurt in a car accident on your way to work is much greater. Do the same things you learned to do in kindergarden (keep your eyes and ears open and if you see something wrong report it to the authorities) and you should be fine.

If we live out lives in fear then they win and we can't let them win.
Old October 9th, 2001, 11:11 AM
Admiral

If it's any comfort, I live in Mahattan and nine days following our disaster, went ahead with a long-planned vacation in France. I flew round-trip from Newark airport. Perhaps I'm just fatalistic.

A previous near-disaster, which happened in my own home a few months earlier, affected my decision. One evening, at 6:30, I was standing in my dining room when a huge portion of my living room ceiling suddenly caved in. It sounded like a bomb, and dust was everywhere. I live in an old building, and it was thick heavy plaster. If I'd been sitting on my sofa, I'd be dead.

I won't ever feel the sense of security I did before Sept. 11 (who will in this country?) but I refuse to let a bunch of crazy people keep me from going on with my life. If New York's mayor can lead a Columbus Day parade up Fifth Avenue, then I'll get on a plane again. I think it's a personal decision we all have to make, and I hope (for your sake) that you and your wife come to an agreement.

Anne Campbell
Editor
CruiseMates
Old October 9th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

"I just got a phone call from my wife telling me that there was some terrorist expert on the news says Bin Laden is planning a big attack against the west."

Two things...is the threat true? Is it being reported by more than one source or is it simply a threat to instill fear in us?

Secondly, the West includes the USA, Canada, Great Britain, France, Germany, Russia, Australia. Then there's the Arab countries such as Pakistan that are actively supporting the fight against terrorism. Logic...something not too easy to focus on in times like this...suggests that your flight or cruise being a target is rather remote.

People talk about not wanting to give in to terrorism. Such arguments can be rather empty to those afraid of flying now. As I see it, it all boils down to whether it is worth the risk. You accept a certain risk whenever you cross the street, drive a car, board any aircraft. Boarding a commercial flight is a bit more of a hassle these days...but the airport and the airplane are more secure, lowering the risk.

So is it worth losing all that you have paid when, indeed, you are undoubtedly more secure than had you left on August 17th?

Food for thought...JimM
Old October 9th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Admiral

I've just checked the news sites at cnn and msnbc, and there's no mention of any sort of new threat.

I agree, the decision to go ahead with vacation plans or to cancel them has to be a personal decision. I would never urge a person who is fearful of flying to proceed with vacation plans. Nor would I say it's safe: who knows? My decision to go to France was a very personal one. But after what I experienced in New York made me realize the risk of terrorism is unknowable and certainly out of my hands. So I'm just going on with my life, which includes some travel. Do I feel some anxiety? Of course.

Nobody knows anymore what the risk really is, do they? Tell a New Yorker that it's safe to stay home!
Old October 9th, 2001, 07:44 PM
Robocop

I have a hard time answering this because it is a personal decision like Anne says, and nobody really has the right to tell someone else they are foolish or wrong when they feel this way. What I can say is that traveling with all the new security measures now in place is as safe as it has ever been and traveling onboard a cruise ship is still the safest way to vacation. These are all satistically true, but everyone must find there own comfort level. I have 'kissed the death angel' myself on more than one occasion and she almost got me once. Knowing that and fully understanding that I survived incidents that should have killed me, I really feel that death will come when it comes and there isn't a heck of a lot you can do about it. Now taking foolish chances is still a stupid thing to do, but I will not stop living my life to it's fullest and enjoying every precious minute of it because I am afraid of losing it. Your life is a wonderful thing not to take full advantage of all the glorious things it offers and I can only recommend that you do whatever you enjoy and not worry about things you have no control over.
Jim
Old October 9th, 2001, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Tom,
I agree with all the posts so far, we have a cruise planned for Dec and if I can get there, we're going, I'm not going to life in fear. I sure hope you and your wife can make that cruise, but thats totally your decision, good luck.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old October 10th, 2001, 06:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

A friend of mine was ex Vice Presidents main advisor on middle eastern terrorism. I spoke to him today. I won't tell you all that he said but he did tell me that flying now is perfectly safe. The next attack will not come from the sky - or a cruise ship for that matter. I was with him on September 11th and he detailed both the political and psycological activities that would follow in the aftermath of the strike and everything he pointed out has basically happened. So go and have a good time. We as American's can not stick our heads in the sand and stop living. Relax and enjoy.
Old October 11th, 2001, 08:01 AM
Passenger

I too am deathly afraid to fly now. Have always flown in the past with no tension, but as our departure draws nearer, I am getting soooo scared. My husband is flying a few days before me so I'll be alone on the plane, I guess thats better in case something happens, my daughter will have one of us. But then again were flying home together. We talked alot about this last nite and thought about driving, but we live in Ct and don't want to drive such a long distance, (time and effort). So I guess I'll take a couple Valium and get on the plane. Reading these previous post has helped a lot. Thanks.
Old October 11th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Admiral

I wasn't exactly singing Volare when I boarded Continental at Newark Airport Sept. 20 for my vacation in France. But I went ahead anyway, and now I'm glad I did.
I don't believe we're up to speed yet on airport security, based on what I see on TV. But I doubt that a similar terrorist act could happen again. Passengers have shown that they will take action themselves should they percieve any danger.
Old October 11th, 2001, 03:48 PM
First Mate

In my opinion you have to believe like every one else has stated that you are probably safer now that before. My future wife was also scared and she has relaxed some now. We leave 11/10 on the RCI Explorer. I also believe the media is reporting anything they hear right now wether it is fact or not. So remember there are lots of reports that turn out to be false. I just calmly explained to my fiance that we can also be of help by being obsevant to our surroundings. That security will be much more than it has ever been.
Once you get there I belive it will all fade away temporarily while you have the absolute time of your life. I hope. First time for us but I am already betting not out last.

Happy Cruising to All
Jim
Old October 11th, 2001, 04:29 PM
Leilani

We cruise each year in December. Hope this year is no different. Our cruise has been planned since July and have to admit both are a little nervous, but it is something we have to look forward to each year after a long year of working hard. Several friends have canceled travel arrangements, I don't want to cancel ours, but I am concerned - we fly into ft. lauderdale - I too feel flying now is safer than ever. I think I will let Kelly read the above messages - sure has helped me feel better about our trip - and God knows we need to get away!!

Thanks
Old October 11th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jim ==>

Your comment about the media may give people the wrong impression. Yes...they are "reporting anything they hear right now wether it is fact or not." But this is not intentional. It's out of frustration. When was the last time you heard about an "unnamed congressional source" or "reliable source in the administration." Leaks are being cut off...it's about time IMHO. In this new war, information is as much a weapon as a cruise missile. It has to be controlled...something most of today's journalists have not had to work with.

Broadcast news directors have to provide 22 minutes of the most accurate news they can. News is, after all, a business. If it was all the objective, dispassionate, honest reporting of facts, it would be frightfully dull and we'd tune out. So don't blame the media if they can't find "facts" to report. Most media types are trying to do the best they can with the very little they are given to work with.

Regards...another Jim
Old October 17th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Joe S

I am also going on a Cruise in a few day's but I am not worried at all because I have Faith in the LORD . If something happens it happens because I know where I am going when it is time. Maybe you and your wife should try it.
Joe S
Old October 22nd, 2001, 01:16 AM
Passenger

I have a cruise booked for new years this year and I am still going, I briefly thought about cancelling and my main concern right now is more if the cruise company or the airline company cancels my vacation.

The events in september were a devastating tragedy that will not be forgotten and this alone will make people more aware and more careful in future travels, but it really is not something that we should become paranoid to do. Thousands of flights occur on a daily basis, both passenger and cargo planes without incident and thousands have occurred since the last terrorist attacks. No doubt airline travel will still unerve people more than it has in the past but we have to realise that we take risks every day.

The people that went to work in the World Trade Center that day, did not fly they just went to work as they always do and perished. We still all go to work and maybe on edge from time to time but we still all do this. We face perils everyday, in fact living is a peril, I travel to work everyday in my car and face a 14,000 to one chance of having a fatal accident. I could die tommorrow from a heart attack, or find out I have some disease that is incurable like cancer. I could be sleeping at night and a tornado or earthquake may kill me in my sleep. We will all die sometime, preferably later than sooner and not that we should do something unrealistic that might cause us to reach that goal any faster but there are some levels of risk that everyone must face in day to day life.

In fact even since the terroist attacks we still have a better chance of dying on our way to the airport than on the flight itself, yet I do not really see too many people getting upset about this. This is a risk we have come accustomed to and do not worry about from day to day. The attack is something that was an uneccessary event and brought back a reality that the world is not as safe as we once thought it was.

I think it is time that we all get on with our lives and try to live as normal a life as possible. Another terrorist attack is possible but the airlines and individuals are now on the lookout that these things are a possibility, so travel may actually be safer now than it was before the attack when no one really worrried about it.

I think it is unrealistic for someone to try and hide from all the perils in life.

I know that there is not a day that goes by that I do not think of the attack but I am trying my best to continue to enjoy my life and as part of that I plan to still take the vacation I planned to take before the attack occurred.

I hope other people realise these things and continue living their lives as close to normal as possible.
Old October 24th, 2001, 04:17 AM
Teijo

I have been flying all the time around the world since September 11. Every airport seems to be on the highest state of alert right now. Although I am regularly flying with American Airlines, they have picked me up from the line many times, and screened very carefully my luggage, passport, etc. I have never felt more secure on the airports or on the aircraft as I am feeling right now. If you look all the extra measures travel industry is taking same time with decreasing travellers and decreasing fares, it wouldn't be wise to cancel right now.

If you look statistically the safety of the airline industry right now, there will be no major increase of fatalities this year among airliner travellers compared to the previous year. The disturbing fact is that there were so many fatalities on the ground on September 11, but on those 4 flights there were 266. Since then, there has been two other major aircraft accidents, the Russian Tupolev over Black Sea and the SAS MD87 in Milan -- both doing nothing with terrorist attacks. Personally I would be more worried on a 'traditional' accident, for example, a runway collission on the ground, rather than a terrorist attack.

I suggest all the people with a fear of flying to see a traffic on a major airport for an hour. The planes are landing and taking off -- and all them safely!walter wrote:
Old October 27th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

I CERTAINLY WOULDN'T CANCEL ANY TRAVEL PLANS DUE TO ANY THREAT BY OSAMA BIN LADEN OR ANY OTHER TERRORIST GROUP. THE MAIN PURPOSE OF A TERRORIST ATTACK IS TO THROW US OFF BALANCE AND DISRUPT OUR WAY OF LIFE AND OUR PLANS. IF WE ALLOW THESE THREATS TO KEEP US FROM CONTINUING ON WITH OUR WAY OF LIFE, THEN THEY HAVE WON. AND THEY HAVE ACCOMPLISHED THIER GOALS.

I DON'T BELIEVE THAT THERE WILL BE ANOTHER ATTACK, ESPECIALLY, VIA AIR AS IT WAS ON SEPTEMBER 11. PLEASE LET YOUR WIFE KNOW THAT SHE STANDS MORE CHANCE OF GETTING HURT IN AN AUTO ACCIDENT THAN SHE EVER HAS OR WILL ON AN AIRPLANE. WHAT HAPPENED WAS HORRIBLE, BUT WE CANNOT LIVE IN FEAR.

GO ON YOUR CRUISE, HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME AND THANK GOD THAT WE LIVE IN A COUNTRY WHERE WE HAVE THE FREEDOM TO DO THESE THINGS.