Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2001, 03:26 PM
Randall

Default Price drops on booked cruises

I am booked on the Victory on 11/04/01. I recently checked prices online and found that the total price has dropped $650 from what I booked months ago (category 8E balcony). I am already in the penalty period and it doesn't make sense to pay a penalty of $700 to save $650. My TA told me that the prices apply only to new cruise bookings. It doesn't seem fair that I have to pay more for booking in advance. Any suggestions on what to do? Has anyone else come across this problem?
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Price drops on booked cruises

I have the same situation, although my price difference is not as great. Our TA told us once you make the final payment, the line will not refund the difference. Oh well, you should get a substantial upgrade.
Old October 11th, 2001, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I would actually be pushing pretty hard for the price reduction. Push your TA to work their way up the ladder, until they find someone who says yes!
Regards,
Kuki
Old October 11th, 2001, 08:31 PM
Robocop

Randall,
Times right now are very unique and with them come unique circumstances. Normally I think that the CL's have no problem honoring price reductions and I have had my price dropped a number of times. I have also saved quite a bit of money by booking early and paying a low price for a cruise that sold later for a much higher price. With the problems of getting people to tracel I can well understand the great reductions that are occuring to fill the ships. If the CL's gave everyone these super low prices I'm afraid you would not be able to cruise as they would shortly go out of business. Yes you got caught in a situation that means you will be paying a higher price for your cruise than someone who is booking late. It could just as easily have been the other way around with the price of the cruise skyrocketing. Would you still think the same if the CL's came to you and wanted to rebook you at a higher rate? Road goes both ways and sometimes you are the windshield and sometimes you are the bug. Even though the chances are much higher of you being the windshield when it comes to booking early, this time you are the bug. Sorry, it's just life and we have to just go on and not worry about it.
Jim
Old October 12th, 2001, 08:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

I had the same situation on Princess. I was booked with and outside cabin cat E.

I talked to my TA and she said Princess was not refunding money or giving upgrades. She pushed harder and spoke with a supervisor and made a deal that I agreed to. I would have to give up my cabin and get a cat HH guar outside cabin for the current prices. I saved $500. Cat HH is the lowest category of outside cabin but at least it's a guaranteed outside cabin. I don't care about the view I just want to know if it's day or night out.

Now I won't know where my cabin is until 3 days before the cruise. This could be better or worse than what I had before. But $500 is $500 and that can be used for alot of other things.

I'm hoping for the bestand expecting the worst. Who knows, I might get upgraded to a balcony.

So you should push your TA to talk to someone higher up and strike a deal you are willing to compromise. Good Luck.
Old October 12th, 2001, 09:48 PM
Chyna_C

I two days ago checked the price of my cruise and found the prices had dropped dramatically. I am inside the 60 day penalty so I didn't know what the TA would say. I called and was told the prices were for new bookings only. She asked me to hold and got a supervisor on the line and they honored the new price. I am supposed to be getting $115 back. I now have an outside cabin, know my cabin number and I am trying to rebuild the excitement for you upcoming trip.

57 days and counting!!

Chyna
Sensation 12/9
Old October 16th, 2001, 01:40 PM
First Mate

I booked with HAL on one of their 5 day flash sales...would you believe on Sept 14....I had seen the price on Sept 10. My husband and I were so down that we just decided to go for it. It was for an outside guarantee. Now the price has dropped. The TA had taken $80 off the flash sale price but HAL had dropped the price $170 for the same cat X.

Our TA just happened to call with flight times and when I mentioned the price drop, she admitted that she, too, had noticed and had already contacted HAL who said NO to any refund as it was for new bookings only. She and I are hoping for a nice upgrade.

It is the first time I have booked with this TA and so far have been quite impressed. Also our first cruise with HAL. Do you think I should still press for a refund? (up till now I had been quite happy with the price)
Old November 25th, 2001, 09:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, I had this happen to me. I booked The Explorer Of The Sea with RCCL about 10 months ago and the prices just came down and saved us $250.00 each . RCCL already gave the credit to my credit card. I had already paid the cruise in full. I sail in 2 weeks. This also happened 2 years ago on the Voyager Of The Sea. RCCL is really good about refunds.