Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2001, 07:25 PM
Passenger

Default New Cruisers - Need all the info we can get

Me and my fiance are going on a cruise late Sept 2002 for a 7-day cruise on the Carnival Victory for our honeymoon. We have never been on a cruise and have no idea of what to expect. We've never traveled unless it's somewhere we can get to in our car. I mean, when I was scanning through these posts. I was kinda freaked out when I read that you had to leave your luggage outside your door the night before the end of the cruise. I've also talked to friends who said they had to drop off there luggage when they boarded the cruise and didn't get their luggage until the next day. Is this really a normal thing? If so, are you allowed to carry a carry-on or something? Before we heard this, we just figured we would carry our luggage on the boat like you do when you go to a hotel. We need all the info we can get! We've only stayed at hotels so that's all we know. I'm hoping someone out there has gone on a cruise for the first time and can remember things that surprised them or that they didn't expect. Please give as much info as possible. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2001, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: New Cruisers - Need all the info we can get

Hi Robin,
Yes, you can take carry-on pieces of luggage with you, but the large luggage will be brought on for you, even now with the hightened security, they won't let you take your own luggage onboard. I sure wouldn't want to anyway, but I guess some do. Its always a good idea to pack an outfit that you could wear to dinner in case your bags don't get there in time, but they always get there the day of embarkment. The last night out is when you pack-up and leave your luggage outside your cabin, to be picked up and put together for disembarkment.

Here is a link to some great info for a first cruiser, should help answer other questions you are bound to think of, enjoy:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/first-time/index.cfm>

Wishing you a wonderful wedding and honeymoon :-)

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old October 14th, 2001, 11:49 PM
Carole Dunham

Robin, I've sailed Victory and you're in for a treat. Are you a music lover? They have music of all kinds all over the ship. The cabins are very roomy and very well designed. While I don't think the food is up to the standards of the upscale lines like Princess, Celebrity and Holland America, it's pretty tasty and definitely better than what I make at home.

The entertainment was wonderful and we had a great cruise director, Corey Schmidt. I will tell you that I took my first cruise in 1959 and have about 40 cruises or so beneath my belt. I've put my luggage in the hall the night before and have always dropped my luggage off at the pier before the cruise. I've always gotten my luggage within a few hours and I've never had anything taken from my bags. I would carry any medication, jewelry or any other valuables in your carryon though. Also bring a bathing suit and a change of clothes in case it DOES end up taking a long time to get yur luggage. Tip the longshoremen who takes your luggage, I always give them a couple of dollars per bag, and your luggage will definitely be put onboard.

Most of all I hope you and your fiance have a perfect marriage and a wonderful honeymoon on the Victory.

Carole
Old October 15th, 2001, 08:40 AM
donnajo

My husband and I also took our first cruise on our Honeymoon in 1994. We've been sailing ever since and have just booked our 9th cruise! It is very organized at the pier and pretty easy to follow instructions for boarding. Take your carry-on with you and let them bring your luggage form the airport to the pier and on to the ship. You will get your luggage delivered to your room later that day. You then have a few hours to check out the ship before it gets really crowded, find the dining room, get something to drink, etc. Just relax, the ship's crew will answer any questions you may have once on board. Happy Honeymoon!
Old October 15th, 2001, 05:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

You're in for a pleasant surprise, believe me.

It took my wife 35 years to get me on a cruise. Now she can't keep me off them. I travelled extensively for business and otherwise, enjoying superb hotels. I always beleieved this was the way to go...until my better half got me on a cruise ship. Now I wonder why I waited so long.

Enjoy your honeymoon...JimM
Old October 15th, 2001, 08:08 PM
Mary Lou

Please feel free to join us in the chat room weeknights beginning at 9 p.m. Eastern Time. We would love to answer any questions you might have. I'm sure you will find cruising to be a wonderful way to travel.
Please stop in the chat room soon.
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Old October 17th, 2001, 01:07 AM
Admiral

Hi, Robin ...

You will get your luggage on the day/night of sailing.

Just one thing. When you leave your luggage outside your stateroom on the last night? Don't forget to keep the clothes you plan to wear home. The stories are legion, particularly about honeymooners, who end up naked with nothing to wear.

The stories may not be true, but there are sure a lot of them.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor