Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Frank

Default Cruising with a 5 year old

I do know that Disney is a good cruise line for kids.But they are expensive.Does anyone have any ideas about another cruise line or ship that would be good for my 5 year old daughter.Any info would be nice.
Thnks Frank
Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Ace

Default Re: Cruising with a 5 year old

We just had a cruise on the Norwegian Sea this past August, taking our six year old daughter, and she throughly enjoyed it. It may be sacrilegious to say this, but she liked it better than Disney World!

I think the key part of this is that my daughter had kids her own age to play with. Mom and Dad are fine, but after a while she wants to be with other kids. We usually spent the day together, going out on tours or hanging out at the pool, but after dinner, my daughter would go to the kid's program and my wife and I would see a show. When we came back to pick her up, she usually begged to stay longer.

Almost all the major cruise lines have some type of children's programs, so check them out as to availability, hours, costs, etc... A important consideration may be when you plan on cruising. Typically the summer and holidays would have more kids on the ship in the first place and accordingly more activities for them.

Finally, you also may wish to consider how your child interacts with others, is she shy or outgoing? If she is very clingly with you, then she might not have a good time with the kids program. In our case, when our daughter saw the opportunity to play with other kids, she left us like a shot! So much for separation anxiety!
Old October 16th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Robocop

Carnival has a gret kids program as do the Voyager Class ships of RCI. Both of them would be a great choice IMHO
Jim
Old October 16th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Frank,
I'd have to also agree with Robo about the RCCL's Voyager/Explorer/Adventures for families, also have heard that Carnival is great for kids as well. We did take a look at the kids area on Explorer and the kids there were having a ball, can't say enough about this class of ship for cruising with families, just too much to do, everyone would be happy.

Do let us know what ship/line you do decide on and happy cruising.

Donna
Tuesday chat Host
Old October 17th, 2001, 01:03 AM
Admiral

I've never cruised with a kid (except other people's) but I think it's important to remember that kids are not accustomed to 24/7 with Mom and Dad. Neither are Mom and Dad accustomed to it.

A good kids' program would probably be very important to you. That "breather" at some point in the day. Other than that, I'll leave this one to the folks who have cruised with their own children.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old October 17th, 2001, 05:47 PM
Stu

maybe a better question is .....would a 5 yearold be good for the cruise?