Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2001, 08:01 PM
Carole Dunham

Default something new and nasty

I've been on the site for about 10 minutes tonight and all I seem to be doing is shutting down popups! I hate the bloody things and will NEVER book anything from a popup nor will I ever purchase anything. Makes it difficult to complete anything. The gambling ads are the worst since you can't shut them down without clicking a dozen times or so.Anyone else hate them as much as I do?

Carole
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2001, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: something new and nasty

Carole,
I'm with you on those annoying pop-ups, but they do pay those bills, so I guess we have to just grin and put up with them??? Kind of how I feel when they are in the way......

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Carole,
Pop ups on CruiseMates? I don't get them, never have. Maybe it has something to do with the browser you're using.
Anyone else see them?

Regards,
Kuki
rsawick

That's your ISP, not cruisemates.
Old October 17th, 2001, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I don't get them here, but other sites all the time.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old October 17th, 2001, 08:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Have never had pop-ups on Cruisemates. Other sites drive you nuts with them

JudyL
Old October 17th, 2001, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good to hear I'm not crazy, just Kuki .
Old October 17th, 2001, 10:54 PM
Hucc

I don't ever get them on cruisemates.com either. Maybe Carole has another site open at the same time and that site is causing the popups?
Old October 17th, 2001, 10:59 PM
Yeoman

I have never gotten a pop-up! Is this a lucky by-product of web-tv? ( ie: e-mail for beginners!)
Old October 17th, 2001, 11:41 PM
Carole Dunham

I never said it was cruisemates. It was happening all over the place. I've had my ISP for several years and it's a first for them, if indeed it is them. I went and downloaded Web Washer and so far, nothing.

Carole
Old October 18th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Carole Dunham

Let me explain that this was a rogue something. Most ads are just there and they are simply part of the free market. As such I can take them or leave them. For example, the HAL ad that currently appears on the top of the cruisemates homepage is innocuous, take an interest or leave it alone, either is fine. This was something I've never seen before. The popups were huge, took up about 1/3 of the entire screen. If for example, they were selling cell phones, the ads for 10 or 12 companies appeared on the popup. They appeared in rapidfire succession. They tucked themselves very neatly under the top bar so I had to delete them using the taskbar. On the taskbar they were totally black so you couldn't discover where they came from. I have DSL and am connected to the internet all the time. I decided to see something. I timed this. I closed down everything except my internet connection and just sat and waited for 3 minutes. At the end of 3 minutes I had 17 popups! They were a pain and had created 3 taskbars since that's the only way they could all be held! They were all a nuisance but the gambling sites were the worst. You'd shut them down and there would be two or three more just below the first one, yuck. They were even appearing when was downloading Web Washer, but since I installed it, I am only getting the ads that are passive, that are just on the various sites. I called Earthlink, my ISP to see if they had done anything like this and they hadn't. Moreover, they don't sell their clients' names.I had a rogue brower hijack my computer once and I believe this was much the same thing.

Carole
Old October 18th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Could be your Internet provider nm

So tell me Rick, what does nnnnnn mean?

Carole
Old October 19th, 2001, 05:08 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Could be your Internet provider nm

Hi Emma,

I think Web Washer is much the same thing. Since I installed it, all popups have disappeared. The passive ads are stll there, but as I said, they don't bother me at all.

Carole
Old October 20th, 2001, 04:21 PM
SuzieQ

Carole,

I don't get pop-ups here...but I agree with you...why would I ever be enticed by a pop-up?...I can't wait to click them off and I seldom, if ever read them!
Old October 21st, 2001, 12:45 AM
Rob H

When you go into sites with Netscape or IE browsers you can get these popups in areas like CNN or Netscape News and especially any selling site.
My firewall software allows me to train it to flesh out and eliminate but after a while all you want to do is just close.
If you go into some other sites, sometimes you will get numeorus wondows popping up and you almost at times need to ctl-alt-del your browser.

Some third party shareware exists but as in everything you have to train it.. which takes time.
Old October 21st, 2001, 02:43 PM
Carole Dunham

I use IE 6.0. Never liked Netscape and don't have it any computers. Only did once about 5 years ago and this isn't the same computer.

Carole
Old January 7th, 2002, 07:45 PM
July

Hi Carole,sorry you've had so many dang problems with the pop-up adds,I have had the many(yes, they do pay the bills,folks irriating pop-ups in the past but don't have them on any 'cruisemates' pages, or sites.Maybe it is your ISP and you'd want to check with them<?>Whatever the problem is best to check with your server(ISP) first,this is a fun site to use and informative,too-hate to loose a friend out there.I enjoy reading all these informative question/ideas about cruising,as I can always learn something.Hope it goes better for you & when you do know what 'causes
the pop-ups',let us all know, would you please?Happy Cruising...July....
on Cozumel Island.......