Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Charles A. Wilmot, Ph.D.

Default Indonesian Cruise Stops?

We are booked on NCL's Norwegian Wind from Singapore to Sydney scheduled to depart on 12/15/01. Scheduled stops enroute include 2 such stops in Indonesia. Because of the current unrest and animosity toward the U.S. which currently prevails there, we are wondering if NCL will hold fast to that itinerary or are they likely to alter it and bypass Indonesia? Have you heard anything at all relative to that specific situation? Contacts with personnel at NCL have netted us nothing but I suspect that you would be more privileged to such information if, and when, it becomes available. Thanks, in advance, for any help that you may be able to provide in the way of putting our minds a little more at ease.
Sincerely,
Charles A. Wilmot, Ph.D.
cwilmot@jboxford.com
520 795-0567
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Indonesian Cruise Stops?

I'm surprised that they haven't chancelled port stops in Indonesia yet ... but I'll be shocked if they don't. Just wait a bit ... or, ask your travel agent to keep trying.

Anne
Old October 22nd, 2001, 03:00 PM
HannaS77

Recommend you go to the State department on the Internet.
There is a good write up about Indonesia dated 9/27/01 and 8/10.01. You may also want to check on the Phillipines.
http://travel.state.gov/travel_warnings.html

Ironic as it might seem with all the fear and hysteria going around, when I was on the Holland American "Ryndam" last week after 10 days at sea, I gave little thought to the subject. However, when I got home I could not help but wonder about the make up of the crew which was mostly Indonesians and Phillipines, especially adfter reading the State epartment Warnings.
Old October 22nd, 2001, 08:38 PM
Charles A. Wilmot, Ph.D.

Thanks, Hannah. Good post! We're just waiting to see how this whole thing plays out. Chuck
Old October 23rd, 2001, 01:04 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne

Dear Dr. Wilmot,
I could not help but notice your post and felt I might be able to offer something in the way of insight. I grew up overseas as the daughter of an American Ambassador. My father held many overseas posts for the State Department. Not only does the State Dept. have regular and useful travel updates available on their website, but they will also go to bat and bring diplomatic pressure to bear on cruise companies which utilize American ports. I would be surprised and shocked if NCL did NOT change the itinerary as such refusal to change course would inevitably affect their right to continue to utilize American ports. Please contact the State Department by telephone as soon as possible BEFORE you leave and verify that NCL will be changing it's itinerary. I sincerely wish you the very best in cruising, no matter where the wind may take you.

Suzanne
Old October 24th, 2001, 10:56 PM
tjukka

Charles,
Our cabin steward now on the Vision just got back from his home in Bali.He said there was no unrest there but Jacarta there was alot. Don't know where you are stopping but I hope you have a great cruise.
tj