Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2001, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Default Cruise lines asking for too much Personal Info!!!

I just got my papers from Princess for my 11/17 cruise on Golden and they are asking for too much personal information. Has anyone filled out the Pre-Cruise Information papers?

They say that the forms have to be completed in full and returned to Princess for my cruise tickets to be mailed to me.

I have no problem filling out forms but some of the info is not required in my opinion.

For example, why do I have to give them my Social Security Number?! Anyone with this info and my date of birth can do anything they want with my identity!!

Other questions that are inappropriate:

Am I retired?
Occupation
How many cruises have I been on?
Marital Status

Most of these questions are for marketing purposes only and are not required to go down to the Carribbean.

Can anyone tell me what is the bare minimum amount of information that I need to give to them?
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2001, 04:12 PM
Chyna_c

Default Re: Cruise lines asking for too much Personal Info

Well...in light of 9/11, I think they are trying to be very very careful....
Old October 22nd, 2001, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Rick,
You can also fill that information in on-line at the Princess web site <http://www.princess.com/home.jsp>. You will need your booking number that you can get from your travel agent or just call 1-800-Princess. You can also pre-sign up for shore excersions as well as long as the cruise is within the 60 day mark. I also think that, yes, they are beefing up the security and it seems to me a lot of that information is for marketing reasons.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old October 22nd, 2001, 04:49 PM
Yeoman

Sometimes the occupation question can help them determine if anyone on board can help in different types of emergencies. There are rare instances when you hear about a doctor on an airplane saving someone's life.

The # of cruises question helps them determine how aggressively to market to you. I would think that if you put down that you are an avid cruiser they might send you deals or upgrade kind of stuff to make you loyal to their line. Also if it asks if you have been on their line before that is to determine if you are invited to a "welcome back party" held for repeat cruisers on that line.

I know the info you get when you go on a carnival cruise ask if you are celebrating an anniversary or on a honeymoon so they can give you a special cake at dinner one night.

If you are uncomfortable answering any of the questions (the optional ones) then don't. If you have a question on why other questions are required information call the cruise line or your travel agent and ask.
Old October 22nd, 2001, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Hi, RIck ...

N/A is always a good answer. NOYB works, too, but is somewhat more confrontational.

I refuse to have my social security number (supposedly required) on my driver's license. A US SS# is NOT on one's passport.

You're probably right about the marketing aspect of the answers that are submitted.

If I owned a cruise line (pity, I don't) I would like to have my sticky little fingers on all possible demographics.

Just put N/A. They will be happy because the form is filled out and you haven't given over any info.

Do you have any problem with giving your passport number?

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old October 23rd, 2001, 07:44 AM
KCMiller

I believe that they ask questions of a more personal nature so that the Maitre'd can put people at tables with other people of similar tastes and backgrounds.

KC
Old October 23rd, 2001, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Maybe it's just me but I'm a very private person. I'm in no way an extremist when it comes to security. I have no problem giving them my Passport#. I am leaving the country and that is what a passport is for.

My SS# is non of their business and I'll give to give it out when necessary. I just feel that giving it to a cruise line is unnecessary.

I also posted this question on the Princess post on this site and recieved a very interesting responce. I was told that this is a "non-issue". I couldn't feel more strongly against this statement.

If you don't have a a problem giving them your SS# then I guess you wouldn't have a problem giving them your bank account number. Who knows, maybe they need to check to see what you can afford while your on the cruise and this way they can market you more effectively.
Old October 23rd, 2001, 05:25 PM
Robocop

Rick,
Believe me when I say that I understand. Like you I value my privacy to the extreme and give out very little info unless "I" have a good reason to. I do not give out my SSN to anyone except the SS people and I have had some good arguements about it but always win. Like Pamda says, just put in N/A and let it go. As to employment, cruised before, married, etc, I have no problems with that. With the employment they may just wish to give you some nice perks, we are now liked again. <>
Jim
Old October 23rd, 2001, 07:48 PM
Passenger

I understand your apprehension in giving your Social Security number. This is what the Social Security Administration has to say on the subject:

Giving Your Number To Others

If a business or other enterprise asks you for your Social Security number, you can refuse to give it to them. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for which your number was requested. For example, utility companies and other services ask for your Social Security number, but do not need it; they can do a credit check or identify their customers by alternative means.

Giving your number is voluntary even when you are asked for the number directly.

If requested, you should ask:

why your number is needed;
how your number will be used;
what happens if you refuse; and
what law requires you to give your number.

The answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is yours.

Our primary message is this--be careful with your Social Security number and your card to prevent their misuse.

If you think someone is misusing your number, ask us for the leaflet, When Someone Misuses Your Number (Publication No. 05-10064).

Privacy Of Records

We can't prevent others from asking for your number. And we can't control what uses are made of your number once you give it to someone. However, you should know that giving it to them does not give them access to your Social Security records. The privacy of your records is guaranteed unless:

We are required by law to disclose information to another government agency.
The information is needed to conduct Social Security or other government health or welfare programs.

For complete information, visit the Social Security Site at the following address: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10002.html
Old October 24th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Ace

Most of the responses have raised valid points, and to be honest, it is not something I have given much thought, especially regarding social security numbers and the like. Responding with a "n/a" should be sufficen, and I will start that practice. I probably will give info relating to ages of people in our party and any special needs or interests and the like. While I am sure marketing plays a big role in this, I also believe it helps them (the cruise lines) to better service their customers.
Old November 2nd, 2001, 04:25 PM
Marcella

Quote from kc: "I believe that they ask questions of a more personal nature so that the Maitre'd can put people at tables with other people of similar tastes and backgrounds."

Jeez, if that's true, then what am I putting down wrong? I'm a cruise fanatic and try to sit with larger groups of like-minded people, but I always seem to get sat with very BORING people.