Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2001, 03:59 PM
KCMiller

Default Boxing Day?

Hi, all,

Well, the Hawaiian vacation went out the window, with the demise of AHC. Sigh. But not to worry, full steam ahead, and Nellie bar the door, as they say . . .

We are sailing on the Norway on 12/23, and will be at sea on Christmas Day, coming into St. Maartin on the 26th, which is Boxing Day, according to a St. Maartin website I have accessed. Does anyone know what this means for shore excursions? Most specifically, the America's Cup? Is there a website for this particular excursion? I have not been able to locate one. Also, would it be appropriate to have a small present for our cabin stewarts and waiters? Any suggestions?

thank you so much!

KC
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2001, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Boxing Day?

Hi KC,
Have no idea what boxing day is in St. Maartens, hope another poster may know the answer to that one. As far as I know, you can only do the America's cup through the ship tour, I understand its awesome, in fact I'd like to sign up for our next cruise through St. Maarten :-) It does fill up fast, so I hope you will be able to do it, have fun.

Donna
Tuesday Chat HOst
Old October 22nd, 2001, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Hi, KC ...

Give this website a try ...

<http://www.ncl.com/shorex/carib/ysa.htm>

All I know about Boxing Day is that it's the British traditional day to exchange gifts.

We've sailed on high-end lines where tipping it TOTALLY not allowed and have suffered over appreciation gifts. The #1 favorite seems to be the little jelly beans called Jelly Bellies.

You can buy them in bulk, bag them in little plastic baggies and tie with pretty ribbons. It's the thought that counts.

You can also get large boxes of them (aroung $10) with the little beans all separated.

Either would be a fine gift.

What a nice person you are to even THINK about doing something so special for crew. You might also want to gift your tablemates just for fun?

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old October 22nd, 2001, 06:25 PM
Carole Dunham

Boxing Day (Dec. 26th) is a British holiday and St. Maarten is a Dutch island. I don't imagine the holiday will impact the island at all.

Carole
Old October 22nd, 2001, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We have Boxing Day in Canada as well. Here it is the biggest shopping day of the year.. all the post Christmas sales. If that holds true in St. Mart, it should be a good day for the ladies ..
I always assumed it was called Boxing day because of all the people returning boxes of gifts to the stores <g>
Gifts for the staff is an excellent idea. We've brought them something every time we've sailed at Christmas. It's a difficult time for the staff, being away from family during the holidays, and they can get melancholy. Small gifts are a nice lift!

We've also taken along a box of small candy canes, and handed them out to staff around the ship. Always gets an appreciative smile!

Regards,
Kuki
Old October 22nd, 2001, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanks Guys,
I had no idea what boxing day was, now I do, sounds like a great day to shop. Now how about the shops there open on New Years day, anyone have an idea about that?

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old October 23rd, 2001, 02:07 AM
Admiral

One more crew gift idea I picked up from somewhere ... I think it was CruiseAholic ... phone cards.

pamda
Old October 23rd, 2001, 07:42 AM
KCMiller

Actually, I found out that Boxing Day was being celebrated by accessing the Travel and Tourism page for St. Maartin - so I guess they do celebrate it.

KC
Old October 24th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

From the World Book enclyclopedia!

"...the traditional celebration of Boxing Day included giving money and other gifts to charitable institutions, needy individuals, and people in service jobs." Typically, people give presents to postal workers or spend the day volunteering.

The exact origin is unknown, but a number of theories attempt to explain how the day came to be, all centering around the idea of boxes and giving to the less fortunate.