Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 25th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Default Has Princess changed "appropriate dress"

Has Princess changed the daily "appropriate dress" guidelines in the aftermath of Sept. 11? We're going on a two week New Zealand to Australia cruise in December. We've sailed Princess before and have always had the standard complement of 2 or 3 formal nights, a few coat and tie nights, and casual nights. Indeed, all the preprinted literature (including some sent by the travel agent last week) and the website still tell us to prepare for that. However, in late September our travel agent was told by the Princess representative that we should plan on two formal nights and the rest "smart casual." An email to Princess brought the same information, except that the final decision is up to the ship. We've had one experience where the cruise ticket said two formal nights, but when we got to the ship we learned that there were three. So the question is, do I believe the brochure? the website? The travel agent? I'm not unhappy about planning for a more casual cruise, but I will be VERY unhappy if I plan for a more casual trip and discover that I should have brought more dressy clothes. Do you have any useful insights that will help us pack? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2001, 08:15 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Has Princess changed "appropriate dress&q

This is what I did on my last cruise which was on Royal Princess. Since our cruise was only ten days I knew we would have only 2 formal nights, but I hadn't a clue about semi-formal or casual. I brought a basic, generic black dress with a basic black jacket. I also brought a beautiful very dressy shawl. On the second formal night I wore the dress, rhinestone heeled shoes, glittery jewelry and the shawl. On semi-formal night, I wore the dress with the jacket, plain black shoes and gold jewelry. On a casual night I wore the dress with clogs and no jewelry. It was made from one of those wonderful fabrics that never wrinkles even if you roll it up in a ball and throw it in the corner of the suitcase. I'm going to get more of those before my next cruise. Really cuts down on the need for a separate dress for each night. And it was hand washable as well.

Carole
Old October 25th, 2001, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Has Princess changed "appropriate dress&a

Hi Karen and Carole,
I too would like to know before I leave what and how many nights of each dress we will need. Your tip is great Carole, but knowing beforehand would even be nicer, have heard that they dropped the semi/formal nights, but they still have in the information that there is 1? Going on Golden for New Years and would like to pack approperately, so hopeing to hear from some recent cruisers as to what they are doing, thanks girls.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host