Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 19th, 2001, 08:22 AM
First Mate

Default Pharmacy in Cozumel

I was curious if you could purchase medications in a pharmacy in Cozumel such as Cumiden and legally bring it on board ship?
Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Robocop

Default Re: Pharmacy in Cozumel

There are many drugs that are prescription in the USA that are sold over the counter in Mexico and you can easily obtain them. Remember though that you do not want to be caught with drugs that require a prescription in the USA without said prescription! Some people take the law about that VERY strictly and do not tolerat any deviation. We have often purchased pain relievers containing enough codine or other analgisics that would warrant a prescription in the USA withour any problem but never in large quanities and only for personal medical use. Technically illegal, I really don't think too many officials would lose a grip over it, but you never know.
Jim
Old November 19th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Can you bring it on the ship?. Probably yes. Can you bring it off the ship in the US? Probably not. Will you get caught? Not likely. Will you be really unhappy if you get caught? You Bet. Is it worth it? NOPE.
If you have a legitamate use for the drug , get a prescription for it.Why do you need to smuggle blood thinner into the US?
Do you think by publishing on this board you are somehow getting someone's permission to commit a crime?
I fail to understand why it is necessary for people to go on a cruise to score prescription and "non prescrition" drugs, cigars, jewelry etc. and either smuggle such things in illegally or fail to pay duties .
You are not really asking "is it legal", you already know it is not, you are really asking will you get caught? Not likely, but I personally hope you do. Maybe that would stop others.
If you can't afford to buy the pills legally in the US then maybe you should think twice about spending the money on the cruise.
Old November 19th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Maybe I am missing the point here....However....I can certainly understand why people especially seniors go to Mexico and Canada to buy medicine. The cost in this country for p drugs is so high, especially for our seniors under medicare. I know this won't apply on cruise but.....case in Texas short time ago.... Americans from Florida (?) went into a border town (mexican side) in Texas. They brought the p drugs (cant remember what) legally back through the Border check point (federal agency). Later while travelling thru Texas, the group was stopped for a minor vehicle infraction by Texas Public Safety Trooper. The p drug was discovered and they were all arrested. It was a mess. Under Federal law it was okay to bring the p drug back into the US but illegal under Texas law. This was a couple years ago..law may have changed now. My point is....be careful transporting medicine laws may vary from federal to state to state juridictions. Sorry if this message is vague....trying to compress a lot in a little space .
Old November 19th, 2001, 02:54 PM
First Mate

I did not intend to get you so worked up! You make it sound like I am
a criminal.I really did not know if this was illegal or not! Other people take
advantage of duty free alcohol and such why not take advantage of lower
priced medications. It is not like it is Cocaine or something.
You really need to get a life!
I do not feel comfortable asking innocent questions to the staff now that
I have had this reaction. If I thought it was illegal, do you think I would have
asked on the internet?
Old November 19th, 2001, 02:56 PM
First Mate

Thank You! That was all I needed to know and done in a very nice way.
Old November 19th, 2001, 04:59 PM
Admiral

you are welcome good luck
Old November 19th, 2001, 05:19 PM
Admiral

In the US, our seniors need the Politicians to live up to campaign promises. It is sad when the elderly have to decide between food on the table or medicine. So I say...if you can get your medicine cheaper on a cruise, going to Canada or Mexico, then good for you!!!!!! Probably, given the astronomical cost of medicine here in the US, your savings on p drugs will pay for most of the cruise <G> For you who dont know, medicare does not cover p drugs. Someday, most of us will deal with that....at that time some views on buying outside of the US may change As I told Deb, the laws vary greatly from Fed to State to State to Local....Check the laws before you buy p drugs outside the US. BIG group hug to everyone....even Ernie ......lol
Semper Fi
Rick
Old November 19th, 2001, 10:46 PM
dezertcruzer (jennifer)

Debbie,
Please don't let this one heated reaction keep you from asking your questions and speaking your mine here at CruiseMates. Your question was quite legitimate, and I think all of us like to save some money where we can. I live in the Phoenix area, only 185 miles from Nogales, Mexico, and going to Mexico for medicine is a way of life for many here. Most are not interested in obtaining something illegal. For most, it is a question of saving some money. If it is a drug which has been prescribed for you, simply contact the doctor's office and ask for a new written prescription which you can carry with you when you have the medication in your possession. Happy cruising!
jennifer
Old November 20th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Robocop

Debbie, "I" am the only 'staff' member that has answered your questions BTW. Bill I believe took your questions the wrong way as he normally does not get worked up. The answer is yes you can buy many p-drugs over the counter in Mexico but in many cases it is not legal to possess them unless you have a prescription for that drug. As Jennifer states, many US citizens buy medications in Mexico and carry a US prescription for them, that makes it legal.
Jim
Old November 25th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Tagging in late, here. There are three pharmacies in Coz right on the zocalo.

My elderly mom takes LOTS of expensive meds not covered by Medicare. We usually buy out at least two pharmacies of the stuff she uses. One med that costs $72 here in the US is $8 in Mexico.

It never occurred to me that benign meds (not narcotics) would be illegal.
Old November 25th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Debra

My mom is on medicare and we always get some of her meds in Coz. Saves her a bundle. She can almost pay for a cruise for what she saves over a year. None of the meds she takes contain narcotics. She gets Prilosec (for acid reflux) for about 1/3 of what she can get it in the states. Also her arthritus medication is lots cheaper. Blood pressure medication too. We go about every 6 months and she stocks up. Then when she is running low, it's a good excuse to go on another cruise so that she can get her meds again. . It's good to have an excuse!!!!

Debra